The Last Airbender: New Chapters RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Airbender: New Chapters RP - take a roleplay voyage through the world of The Last Airbender.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Taming the Fire

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Katara
Superb Member
Katara

EXP : 128130
Birthday : 1991-01-16

Character Description
Position: Nobody
Nation: Fire Nation

Taming the Fire - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 1:16 am

Z. Katara Len

Katara's eyes seemed to widen slowly, as if she was focusing on the flames. Now the it was dark and the moon was out, it almost seemed to have a dramatic effect on Katara's eyes, giving them a similar milky-white glow that was akin to that of the moon itself. It was not actually her eyes lighting up, but they seemed to reflect moonlight extraordinarily well similar to how cat's eyes seemed to glow in the dark.

"that it will." she agreed with a gentle smile. "so... now what?"
clearly there was plenty of time before actual sleep, otherwise they wouldn't have started a fire like this. Normally she wouldn't ask the question, as she was used to travelling alone, but she was not sure that "doing nothing" was something you really did with a friend.
Mood: Content
Condition: Perfect
Link:

Back to top Go down
Jurishe
Superb Member
Jurishe

EXP : 12560

Character Description
Position: Story Collector
Nation: Water Tribes

PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 1:26 am

"Well..." Jurishe hummed, always at a loss for how to answer, "If you wanted to tell a story, or something, I'd never complain." She laughed after her words, snuggling into her coat. Even without her being a self-proclaimed story collector, her family had often told stories outside in the summer months, when the weather was at its most temperate.

Even if Katara had not needed the help of a firebending master, she was also looking forward to seeing the ruins on the island. She was often told that the greatest stories were the ones that she would make herself, in new and far-off places, away from cities.
Back to top Go down
Katara
Superb Member
Katara

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 1:32 am

Z. Katara Len

"hmm..." she mumbled, scooting closer to her friend, wrapping her arm around her so that they would perhaps better share body heat. She would move away if Jurishe grew too hot.
"Hmm... not sure if I have one..." she shrugged, having not have thought one up yet. "although... one thing I have learned is that a good story you don't write... it was always there. you just uncover it. I'll think of one though."

she paused. "in the meantime... what's the water look like right now?" is the moon shimmering off of the waves?"
She did not know, nor was she really aware that her eyes were glowing from the light.
Link:

Back to top Go down
Jurishe
Superb Member
Jurishe

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 1:39 am

"The moon is shining into your eyes," Was the first thing Jurishe said, looking down at her friend, "They're big and bright, and I can see the moon reflected in them; it's really pretty." Then, in a better answer, to her actual question, she tells Katara, "There are a few tiny waves, but it's more like the water is lapping at the shore. The moon is shimmering over the surface of the water... It's almost a full moon, so it's fairly light, even without the fire going. Tomorrow, it should be a real full moon."

Then, the young waterbender looked up at the moon, letting her eyes slip shut, reveling in its glow. Like most of her people, the moon affected her bending, as well as herself; she felt comfort in its presence, and could easily, if she chose (or knew how to do it), part the water for the two of them to just walk to the island.
Back to top Go down
Katara
Superb Member
Katara

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 1:48 am

Z. Katara Len

Katara seemed a bit surprised. "my eyes glow? That sounds so cool!" she exclaimed excitedly. It almost makes me wish I could see again. I've always liked the moonlight... my dad used to say that my mother and I had some water tribe blood in us. I wonder if it was true..."

she shrugged for a moment. "how..." she paused, "how much have I really said about my mother?"
Being with Jurishe had helped Katara see her parents in a more positive light--not that she hadn't before, but earlier, when she thought of her parents, she thought of their untimely demises at the hands of monsters. After conversing with and befriending Jurishe, she was starting to think more about their lives, and the wonderful but short times that she had with them.
Link:

Back to top Go down
Jurishe
Superb Member
Jurishe

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 1:54 am

"Not too much," Jurishe answered, carefully, unsure of how talking about it would affect her friend, "You told me that she gave you your name, and your curls. That she tried to get your hair to cooperate, sometimes, and that she passed away a few years ago?" The last part was the question.

Reaching over, she placed a hand on Katara's shoulder, offering her comfort, should the conversation depress the younger girl. Physical contact often helped, in times like this.
Back to top Go down
Katara
Superb Member
Katara

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 2:02 am

Z. Katara Len

Nodding with a weak smile, she remembered telling all of those things to her friend.
She sighed softly. "well... it's best to appreciate what she gave me in life rather than consistently dwell on her death."
she leaned her head against Jurishe's shoulder a little bit.
"my mother's eyes were vibrant blue. mine were vibrant gold. there'd be times when we would go to the beach together and just walk barefoot on the sands... we'd talk about things... reminisce our losses. When I was 11 and 12, it was just me and her left. then shortly after I turned 13... they finally caught up with us... and got her."

she sighed again, shakign her head. "but to get back to what I was saying... we'd walk along the beach, and then she'd usually out of nowhere grab my hair and ruffle it, which always made me laugh, and so I'd jump up and do the same thing to hers."
she chuckled. "we'd come home looking like we had gotten into some sort of fight, and we'd laugh it off. She used to draw pictures of us posing in front of a mirror with our wild hair... she was a good artist too."

Somewhere at Katara's old house were books of her mother's sketches and drawings. they did Katara no good, so she left them there, although now, part of her wanted to show them to Jurishe, despite them being miles away.
Link:

Back to top Go down
Jurishe
Superb Member
Jurishe

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 2:15 am

"It's always best to remember the good times, and what your mother gave to you," Jurishe agreed, slowly starting to draw her fingers through Katara's hair - another comforting motion, "When you two were together, I'm sure she told you all sorts of things... What were some of her favorites, to say? What were the things you loved hearing most?"

She couldn't help but think of her own mother, who would often give her the same advice, or tell her the same things, as well. Her favorite had been "don't forget; you can always come home, if things don't work out".
Back to top Go down
Katara
Superb Member
Katara

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 2:23 am

Z. Katara Len

She smiled, sighing softly again. "she gave me many things. Most of the relics and memorabilia of my family... they're still in that house."
She produced a key from one of her pockets, that looked like a house key. "the crime around my part of town sort of stopped after the attacks on my family and friends... and the group was annihilated."

she paused. "my mother always liked to say that my hair was a mess. She did it practically so I would tell her that hers was worse, because it was. She hated to admit it, but I was right. if I wasn't "tearing her down with such slanderous insults", as she would jokingly say... I would say "well guess who I got my hair from?" Of course... she'd try to blame my dad, but his hair was soft and fuzzy and I loved to bury my face in it. my mom at least had the decency to make her hair smell pretty even if she couldn't untangle it to save her life... so burying my face in her hair was fun to do too... especially by surprise."

She defintiely appreciated Juri running her fingers through her hair, as it reminded Katara of her mother.
Link:

Back to top Go down
Jurishe
Superb Member
Jurishe

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 2:33 am

Jurishe smiles, "I wish I could have met her. She sounds a lot like you; lots of fun to be around." She continues playing with Katara's hair almost idly, humming as she did. "What was your favorite thing, to do together with your mother?"

She wanted to keep the smaller teen talking, even just for a little bit longer, so that she could keep watch. If Katara fell asleep on her shoulder, she'd put her to bed, of course, but until then, she was helping to keep Jurishe awake.
Back to top Go down
Katara
Superb Member
Katara

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 2:38 am

Z. Katara Len

"I wish you could too... and I've love to see her again. Perhaps after I die... maybe there is a way that after our spirits leave our bodies, we can be united as a family again... or perhaps not, and we just return to the dust of the earth."
she shrugged, closing her glowing eyes a little bit, still somewhat rested on Jurishe's shoulder.
Yawning slightly, she continued.
"funny enough... we'd fight." she laughed, "we were a physical bunch, alwayas wrestling and grabbing each other. we liked to pull each other's hair mostly becuase it was a big tangled mess of curls."

she paused. "OH!" she exclaimed, a huge smiel on her face. "once we had to get something of a boy-cut because we were wrestling so bad once that our hair got tangled. Like... me and my mom had our heads stuck together because our hair had gotten tangled. my dad and siblings teased us about it for WEEKS! but goodness, my mother almost never lived it down..."

she chuckled fondly at the formerly embarrassing memory that was not really funny to look back on, sighing gently, seeming to also get more comfortable.
Link:

Back to top Go down
Jurishe
Superb Member
Jurishe

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 2:47 am

"Oh my," Jurishe grins, giving a small laugh, "That would be hard to live down for a Water Tribe woman, as well; have you ever seen some of the hairstyles we use? They're intricate and mostly a pain, but you need long hair for them. Short hair is a sign of disgrace and usually either banishment or abandonment of the Tribe..."

Then, to better explain, "I haven't denounced my Tribe - I'm only traveling - so my hair is still long, but if a woman never wanted to return to the poles, she'd cut her hair short and set off into the world on her own. It doesn't happen very often, at all."
Back to top Go down
Katara
Superb Member
Katara

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 2:51 am

Z. Katara Len

"well... we still had some seriously bouncy curls..." she giggled, "but that seems cruel to banish people just for having short hair... what happens if something forced you to cut it like me?"

she smiled, snuggling closer to her friend. "well that's good. being banished sounds like it would not be very fun..."
she yawned again, closing her eyes, but she was still awake nd somewhat focused at the moment, the slits of her eyes shimmering in the moonlight.
Link:

Back to top Go down
Jurishe
Superb Member
Jurishe

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 3:16 am

"No, no," Jurishe giggled, trying to explain, "If you are banished, then they cut your hair, as a symbol of being cut off from the Tribe. See?" While her one hand brushes through Katara's curls, the other gestures vaguely as she tried to help her friend understand.

It was an archaic custom, certainly, but as she said; it didn't happen often, anymore.
Back to top Go down
Katara
Superb Member
Katara

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 3:22 am

Z. Katara Len

"ohhh..." she said softly, starting to doze off, but trying to resist and stay awake. "that... that makes more sense then. I was about to say..."

she sighed gently as she felt Jurishe's gentle fingers playing with her curls. she liked when her friend played with her hair
She briefly reached one hand up to pull the tie out of her hair to let it go loose, which it did, cascading down her back and over Jurishe's arm in a landslide of brown curls. the tie was now just between her fingers, and she seemed to be falling asleep, because she leaned forward slightly, before suddenly jerking upright... but then slowly leaning forward again.
Mood: Happy
Condition: Sleepy
Link:

Back to top Go down
Jurishe
Superb Member
Jurishe

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 3:33 am

"Go ahead and sleep, Katara," She offered, still brushing through her hair, "I'll keep watch for a little longer and then I'll go to sleep too... okay?" Jurishe smiled, guiding her friend to help her lay down with her head in her lap, using it as a pillow.

Then, rather than speaking, she began to sing very softly. The words were indiscernible, but the melody was soothing, and might just help Katara drift straight off to sleep.
Back to top Go down
Katara
Superb Member
Katara

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 3:37 am

Z. Katara Len

"alright..." she said softly, gently allowing Jurishe to guide her head into her lap. she snuggled softly into it, her toes still lightly curling in the sand.
the soothing lullaby was really all that Katara needed to fall asleep, and within a few minutes, the lovely melody had put her straight to sleep.

Similar to the last couple of days, and perhaps a bit moreso this time, the orphaned firebender looked very peaceful--happier and more peaceful than Juri had seen her, or anyone for that matter. She seemed to be very much at peace with herself and with her life, despite her numerous dreadful hardships.
Link:

Back to top Go down
Jurishe
Superb Member
Jurishe

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 3:45 am

Though Jurishe tried to keep her eyes open, it was difficult, after that, having nothing to focus on. Figuring that the beach was safe, however, she grabbed for her sleeping roll, tucking it under her head to use as a pillow. "Goodnight Katara," She murmured before drifting off to sleep for the few hours before sunrise.

When it came, the bright light reflecting off the water was what woke her up from her slumber. Groaning and sitting up, careful not to disturb Katara just yet, Jurishe stretched, trying to coax her muscles into moving properly. Unable to stifle a yawn, she covered her mouth with one hand, glancing around to ensure that nothing had changed, during her brief snooze.
Back to top Go down
Katara
Superb Member
Katara

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 3:51 am

Z. Katara Len

Katara remained peacefully asleep until morning, where the sun slowly woke her up again as it usually did. She rested a bit more, not wanting to wake Jurishe, and so when the older girl stirred, Katara did too, rubbing her scarred eyes a little to get the 'sand' out of them, and she slowly sat up, smacking her lips.

"good morning?" she said groggily, still trying to actually wake up.
Link:

Back to top Go down
Jurishe
Superb Member
Jurishe

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 4:03 am

"Morning," Came the sleepy response from Jurishe, followed by another stretch, "The sun woke both of us, this time..." She didn't sound particularly happy about it, but she did laugh. Reaching for her pack - a common morning practice for her - she pulled out a small package of dried fruit. Tearing it open, she popped a small handful into her mouth before passing it to Katara.

"Breakfast," She spoke around her mouthful, covering her mouth with one hand.
Back to top Go down
Katara
Superb Member
Katara

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 4:07 am

Z. Katara Len

Katara took with with a grateful nod, popping it into her mouth with a smile. "welcome to almost every day of my life." she giggled, still a bit weakly as she was tired still as was normal when just waking up. "although I could probably fall back asleep fairly easily if I wanted... if it's too early, I won't mind a single bit."

despite being woken up early by the sun all the time, Katara was fine with (and enjoyed) sleeping in. She was in no rush to get anywhere, and so was quite fine with taking her time.
Condition: Groggy
Link:

Back to top Go down
Jurishe
Superb Member
Jurishe

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 12:31 am

"We could," Jurishe nods, even as she stands and starts to wipe sand off her back and butt, as best she can, "I would like to get to the island, though..." While she sounds reluctant, it's because she doesn't want to push Katara too hard and wear her out. Though her back is still sandy, Jurishe gives up, ignoring it for now. "If you want to wait, you can head back to sleep and I can wake you up in a few hours?"
Back to top Go down
Katara
Superb Member
Katara

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 12:35 am

Z. Katara Len

"I'd feel bad about sleeping while you did all the work." Katara confessed. "perhaps we can get to the island, and then figure out what to do from there, even if said thing to do is just to take a nap."

she chuckled lightly at her own suggestion, standing up and dusting off hersel, as well as her feet as she feels around for her boots and puts them on. "heck... it's not like I'm gonna drop by the side of the road in exhaustion or something, y'know?" she gave a playful smile to indicate to her friend that she was indeed okay.
Condition: Groggy
Link:

Back to top Go down
Jurishe
Superb Member
Jurishe

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 12:42 am

"So long as you're sure," Jurishe smiled back at her, almost laughing at the idea of Katara slumping over while walking and falling over, asleep. Moving to pack up their camp, it didn't take long - most of their things hadn't even been unpacked.

"I'm just going to bury the fire pit, and then we can head out," She told her friend, already moving to cover up the last of the lightly burning embers of their fire, "I'd hate to start a fire, or something..."
Back to top Go down
Katara
Superb Member
Katara

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 12:48 am

Z. Katara Len

"I'm sure." she nodded with a chuckle. "now if only I could get my eyes working again. then I'd be REALLY set." she chuckled, swinging her bag over her shoulder and grabbing her trusty cane.

Upon further investigation, it seemed that the cane was actually very old but very well-crafted, as if it had belonged in her family for generations. Indeed it had, having belonged to one of her great-grandparents, who had been born blind. it was preserved because until KAtara lost her eyesight, it had not needed to be used. Even now, it was still in very good shape. Katara took very good care of it, which was almost surprising given that she hardly took care of herself till Jurishe had shown up.

"if anything, I'LL start a fire." she joked again. "but hopefully not. I'm ready to go when you are, by the way."
Condition: Awake
Link:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Taming the Fire
Page 2 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next