The Last Airbender: New Chapters RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Airbender: New Chapters RP - take a roleplay voyage through the world of The Last Airbender.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Taming the Fire

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Jurishe
Superb Member
Jurishe

EXP : 12560

Character Description
Position: Story Collector
Nation: Water Tribes

Taming the Fire Empty
PostSubject: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire EmptyWed Sep 11, 2013 7:02 am

The small village had yielded nothing, much to Jurishe's dismay. She had been snaring rabbits and other small game as they traveled, but she and Katara would need to resupply eventually. Most of the things they needed most - medical supplies, clothing, the tent - they couldn't make reliably by hand.

Sitting by the water, waiting for the boat that had been promised, Jurishe dipped her bare feet in, sighing lightly. All this waiting was not on her list of fun things to do. Sure, if it was her own choice, that would have been fine, but imposed moments of nothingness? No. The water at her feet spun and flitted about unnaturally, aided by her absent waterbending.

"I should have asked them to bring us lunch along with the boat," She half-muttered to her friend, "At least then we could have had something aside from rabbit stew, rabbit rotisserie, rabbit jerky... I'd be so happy with fish, right now." Even though it was a staple of her Tribe, and she wanted to try new things... Oh yes, fish would be so very welcome.

Shaking her head, she looked up at the sky; the sun had already begun to set. "At this rate, we won't get out to the island until tomorrow..." Jurishe was whining, and she knew it, but she hated being restricted like this, for no reason at all.
Back to top Go down
Katara
Superb Member
Katara

EXP : 128130
Birthday : 1991-01-16

Character Description
Position: Nobody
Nation: Fire Nation

Taming the Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire EmptyWed Sep 11, 2013 7:15 am

Z. Katara Len

Katara was used to living with nearly nothing, and going daty to day just scraping by with what little she needed. She did not eat much, although it was not from lack of appetite--it was simply from her just deciding to go hungry. This was not going to happen with Juri though, as she knew her waterbending companion would not allow Katara to let herself go hungry. It was fine with Katara--just that if they ever ran out of supplies... she would be okay with going hungry.

"Aye... lunch would be nice... although I'm not terribly picky. One thing I would definitely recommend, Juri, would be to only use planning as a guideline. One of the reasons I never had problems in my travels was because of the way I simply let fate take me where it will. We will get there sooner or later, even if it is later."

she rubbed the other girl's back.
"Although I am biased obviously... I am the girl who loves to get lost... I got lost in the Fire Nation Capital a few times, as well as Makapu Village and Si Wong... so aye. I get lost a lot. it's kind of fun."

It was not really much of a help, but perhaps something to pass a bit of time.
Mood: Happy
Condition: Comfortable
Link:

Back to top Go down
Jurishe
Superb Member
Jurishe

Character Description

Taming the Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire EmptyWed Sep 11, 2013 1:44 pm

"I like wandering too," She tried to explain, "...But If I can't do something, it rubs me the wrong way." It may have been weak reasoning, but it likely stemmed from what had happened during her childhood, with her first friend. "Besides," She continues, "The island is right there; we're so close."

Jurishe could see the island at a great distance, as if it were shrouded in fog. Depending on what sort of boat they would be supplied with, it could take her as little as an hour or two to get them both out there. The sun was still in the sky, however pessimistic she felt just now. Maybe they'd get lucky and get moving before it was too late to try.
Back to top Go down
Katara
Superb Member
Katara

Character Description

Taming the Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire EmptyWed Sep 11, 2013 4:16 pm

Z. Katara Len

she shrugged, still smiling. "well... when I can't do one thing, I will try to do another. It's... well, it's kind of how I managed to cope with my blindness all these years. I used to like to draw as a kid. I obviously can't really do that anymore... and that was part of why I took up dancing as an alternative means of expression. It's just a thought."

it was part of why she did not plan very far ahead. When something went wrong, she had other options easily at her disposal.
"so what do you generally do when a plan doesn't work out?" she asked curiously, already knowing what she would usually do herself
Link:

Back to top Go down
Jurishe
Superb Member
Jurishe

Character Description

Taming the Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire EmptyWed Sep 11, 2013 7:26 pm

"Since I left home, I haven't felt the need to really do anything," She offered a slight shrug, "Not like this, anyway. I kinda just wanted to hear more stories and see more of the world, but that can be done anywhere. Right now, I really want to help you."

Jurishe tries to take a few deep breaths, calming her sense of urgency and impatience. It didn't take long before she was more relaxed.
Back to top Go down
Katara
Superb Member
Katara

Character Description

Taming the Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire EmptyWed Sep 11, 2013 11:31 pm

Z. Katara Len

Katara nodded in a gentle understanding. "well... it's not like I am going to get consumed by raw endless power or something if I don't finish it by my 10th birthday or something," she chuckled, for she was clearly much older than 10 anyways.

"Although perhaps we could tell a story while we waited... even though we both still have clothes on." she suggested with another little chuckle.
Link:

Back to top Go down
Jurishe
Superb Member
Jurishe

Character Description

Taming the Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire EmptyWed Sep 11, 2013 11:41 pm

"I'd rather not take my clothes off, with villagers on their way here!" Jurishe laughed in agreement, "Well, I can give you a story, but the one I'm thinking isn't very happy..." Her face fell, just slightly, "It's a fairly popular legend."

Swinging her feet gently in the water, she waited for Katara's answer, as she usually did. The ripples and waves swirled and flipped once again at her touch.
Back to top Go down
Katara
Superb Member
Katara

Character Description

Taming the Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire EmptyWed Sep 11, 2013 11:55 pm

Z. Katara Len

Katara laughed out loud! No, of course not! that'll be when we get another room in the next city and whatnot." she indicated, as she had honestly just been joking about the little trend they had sort of started while telling stories.

"I'm willing to hear it." Katara replied, removing her boots and dipping her toes in the water as well, "and aye... I'm kinda used to sad stories..."
Link:

Back to top Go down
Jurishe
Superb Member
Jurishe

Character Description

Taming the Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 12:06 am

"This one isn't one of mine," Jurishe told her, her voice already softening into 'story-mode', "It's a legend of the Water Tribe. Or - the Southern Tribe, anyway." Kicking at the water once more, she launches into the story:

"A long time ago, just before the Tribes had settled in the north and south pole, a young woman lived with her father, who was growing too old to provide for them," Her voice was grave, as that was a serious thing, in her Tribe, "The girl, however, was too vain to marry any of her suitors. Once she'd rejected each one, her father set his foot down. He informed her that she would be wed to the next hunter to pass through their tiny village."

Jurishe glanced over at her friend before continuing, "Soon enough, another hunter passed through, and the young woman was offered up to him. He consented and she was loaded into his kayak, taken away from her home."
Back to top Go down
Katara
Superb Member
Katara

Character Description

Taming the Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 12:24 am

Z. Katara Len

Katara smiled. It was nice that it wasn't a sad story about Juri's life. people didn't deserve to have sad stories, or so Katara thought.

She got comfortable, putting her expression into "listening mode" so she could get the most out of her waterbending friend's story. She listened intently, nodding to make sure that she was aware of what was going on, and otherwise staying silent to let her continue.
Link:

Back to top Go down
Jurishe
Superb Member
Jurishe

Character Description

Taming the Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 12:36 am

"Soon, they came to an island. The young woman was surprised to find that there was nothing around; no houses, no trees, and no other people. When she turned to question her new husband, he changed before her eyes, becoming a raven-faced man. She screamed, and tried to run, but there was nowhere for her to go," Jurishe paused, imagining the story in her head as she retold it, "She was trapped."

"Her husband brought her nothing but raw fish to eat, and she cried well into the night and into the morning. Finally, her cries reached her father who came to find her, rescuing her from the barren island. They each paddled away in their kayak, away from the island and her husband. They did not get far," Jurishe's gaze was soft, "The raven-faced hunter chased after them, and, for the first time, her father saw the creature that he had given his daughter away to."

"Though he tried to fight, he was an older man, and was no match for the creature. Laughing, the raven-faced hunter tossed and churned the sea, summoning a large storm. Panicking, the young woman's father threw her into the ocean, calling for the spirit to reclaim his bride."

"Swimming frantically, the young woman caught the sides of the kayak, only to have her fingers smashed by her father, who swung the oars at her, trying to beat her away from his boat. When they cracked and fell into the waves, her fingers became the seals and the penguins. Again, she tried to hold on, and again her frozen fingers were bashed until they cracked, this time falling to become the whales and the fish..."

"The final time, her fingers shattered and became all of the smaller ocean creatures, and the young woman sank beneath the waves, her body sluggish and tired. Her punishment for running from her husband was to be denied death; she is still alive to this day, and every storm carries her cries on the wind and in the waves, as all of her creations move to the bottom of the ocean, to comfort her..." On that note, the story ended; Jurishe simply had no more to say. There was no happy ending.
Back to top Go down
Katara
Superb Member
Katara

Character Description

Taming the Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 12:41 am

Z. Katara Len

Katara listened the whole time, her expression slowly changing with her eyes growing wider and more surprised and horrified as the story went on. Soon, before she even knew it, it was over. Just like that, and with no happy ending. It was something of a miserable ending for the poor lady, even.

"Well..." she exclaimed with wide eyes, "that makes my life not seem so bad, really..."
she recovered herself. "Thanks for that... that was somewhat inspiring... and intriguing." she shuddered. She had lost track of time, but then again, only really worried when the sun was out or not.
Mood: Intrigued
Link:

Back to top Go down
Jurishe
Superb Member
Jurishe

Character Description

Taming the Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 12:54 am

"I always wondered what happened to her father, after that," Jurishe admits, "And the raven-faced hunter. If he was a spirit, why did he chase after her, and then just let her die?" Her voice is curious, but almost in a morbid sense, "Did he kill her father, too? He'd just watched him throw his bride into the water to her death."
Back to top Go down
Katara
Superb Member
Katara

Character Description

Taming the Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 1:03 am

Z. Katara Len

"That... certainly *is* an interesting thought." Katara agreed, "then again... I don't really understand spirits very much. they work in weird ways... and I've seen enough of that in my life to be quite content without any of it."

she paused. "it almost sounds like some kind of symbolism. I wonder what the moral of the story was though..."
she casually swung her feet as her toes dipped into the water. While she did wonder a little how long they'd be here, she was also quite fine with waiting and telling stories.
Mood: Intrigued
Link:

Back to top Go down
Jurishe
Superb Member
Jurishe

Character Description

Taming the Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 3:21 pm

"Don't be so vain that you end up with a spirit for a husband?" Jurishe supplied, laughing right afterward at her own joke. Once her laughter abated, she supplied, more seriously, "I'm not sure if there is a moral... or, at least, no one has ever given me one. I think that it's meant to be an explaining story; like 'why does the ocean churn and the sky darken in a storm?'."

Her eyes were drawn to the path to their right, when a rustling sound announced the arrival of their boat. Jurishe jumped up, moving over toward the villagers to both pay for the vessel and ask about the island once again. There was not much of an answer before she and Katara were alone, once again. "Well, at least we've got this, now," She mentioned, trying to keep her voice light, "It doesn't look much like a kayak, though."
Back to top Go down
Katara
Superb Member
Katara

Character Description

Taming the Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 11:44 pm

Z. Katara Len

"Goodness!" Katara laughed, "I'd rather be single!"
she nodded in agreement though. "and aye... that seems to sound right. I like those kinds of stories... gives a nice insight on part of the world and such."

Katara jumped up right with Jurishe, heading towards the boat with her, not holding her hand this time, but sweeping her cane to get around as she usually did. She was surprisingly adept with it, incidentally.
"Well..." she remarked, as she mentioned that it didn't look like a kayak. "what *does* it look like then?"
For it was not like she could see for herself.
Mood: Content
Condition: Perfect
Link:

Back to top Go down
Jurishe
Superb Member
Jurishe

Character Description

Taming the Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire EmptyFri Sep 13, 2013 3:22 pm

"It's... There are seats in it, but it's shaped like a big, flat triangle, and the paddles are too long and flat at the ends," Jurishe told her confused. A rowboat was, in fact, rather different than a kayak. "Well... I guess we should wait until tomorrow to try it out, anyway. The sun's set, and I don't know anything about the ocean here - or what's in it."

Grabbing the end of the boat, she pulled it through the sand, toward their things, not wanting to leave it out, unattended, just to lose it somehow. "Does that sound good? Waiting until sun-up, I mean?"
Back to top Go down
Katara
Superb Member
Katara

Character Description

Taming the Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire EmptyFri Sep 13, 2013 3:42 pm

Z. Katara Len

Katara pictured it in her head. it sounded like a rowboat, something she had not seen often, but vaguely remembered.
"Aye... if we need to wait for morning that is fine with me. I guess that being able to see where we're going would be important... I can't just tap my cane on the water."

she chuckled softly at her little joke.
"So we're just going to make camp here then I take it?" she asked, already assuming affirmatively.
Link:

Back to top Go down
Jurishe
Superb Member
Jurishe

Character Description

Taming the Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire EmptyFri Sep 13, 2013 6:09 pm

Glancing around at their surroundings, finding nothing wrong with it, Jurishe nodded her head. "I think that would be best... The beach seems pretty safe, and then we can get going, tomorrow morning." Reaching up, she brushed her stray hairs back. "I'll get a fire pit ready. Do you think you could find some wood or kindling?" Her eyes found Katara in the light of the sunset.
Back to top Go down
Katara
Superb Member
Katara

Character Description

Taming the Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire EmptyFri Sep 13, 2013 8:03 pm

Z. Katara Len

Katara nodded. "alright... and I guess I'll see what I can do."
She didn't want to make promises, being blind and all, but she would give it a shot. she could definitely start a blaze if she wanted to, and so lighting a fire was not even a concern for her. She would just have to be careful not to unleash too much energy at one time, otherwise it would go erratic and likely explode on her all over again, and she knew that Jurishe would not take that too well.
Link:

Back to top Go down
Jurishe
Superb Member
Jurishe

Character Description

Taming the Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 12:35 am

It took little to no time at all, for Jurishe to dig a fire pit in the sand. Because it wasn't ice or snow, it would light much better than normal for her, as well. Looking up at the treeline, she tries to keep Katara in her line of sight, just in case. She wasn't trying to baby her friend, but she couldn't help but worry.

"Are you doing alright?" She called, cupping her hands to increase the range of her voice, "I could give you a hand, if you need it?"
Back to top Go down
Katara
Superb Member
Katara

Character Description

Taming the Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 12:38 am

Z. Katara Len

Katara knew what wood sounded like, and so she recognized right away when she hit some good kindling. she gathered up a large handful (especially considering her small size), and thought about coming back when she heard Juri's offer.
"If you want," she called back out, "I've got a good amount though I think."

she made her way back, going in the direction of her friend's voice. "just make sure I don't hit anything."
her cane was perched atop the branches and logs, since she was using both hands, so she was not 100% sure where she was going as she took each step forward back towards their little camp.
Link:

Back to top Go down
Jurishe
Superb Member
Jurishe

Character Description

Taming the Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 12:54 am

"There's nothing around for you to hit," Jurishe giggled, watching Katara make her way back over. Standing, she holds her hands out, "Here, I can take it. It won't take me more than a minute, to get a fire going. Go ahead and take a seat."

Placing the wood into the fire pit, Jurishe grabbed a tiny book of matches out of her pack, striking one against the bottom of her boot. Then, holding it against some paper that she'd shredded, she began to light the fire.
Back to top Go down
Katara
Superb Member
Katara

Character Description

Taming the Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 12:58 am

Z. Katara Len

"Thanks." Katara nodded, handing the wood over and taking a seat.
She had initially contemplated offering to start a nice blaze in the firepit, but then again, perhaps trusting her bending was not the best idea. She was fine with hurting herself, but would never forgive herself if she burned Jurishe.
So, she simply sat down, running her bare feet in the sand, since she had not put her shoes back on since when they were sitting at the dock dipping their feet in. She waited to see what Jurishe would do.
Link:

Back to top Go down
Jurishe
Superb Member
Jurishe

Character Description

Taming the Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 1:05 am

While the blaze certainly didn't start off strong, Jurishe was able to light the fire. Leaning in close, she gently blew over the sparks, getting them to catch onto the larger sticks; finally, with her careful guidance, the flames burned steadily at the wood, becoming good and strong. "There we go," She straightened back up, moving to sit beside Katara.

"If nothing else, the fire will keep animals and bugs away," She offered, reaching for her backpack, pulling out her coat to pull it on. Because she knew about Katara's high body heat, she wasn't worried about her friend getting cold at night.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Taming the Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taming the Fire   Taming the Fire Empty

Back to top Go down

Taming the Fire
Page 1 of 10Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next