The Last Airbender: New Chapters RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Airbender: New Chapters RP - take a roleplay voyage through the world of The Last Airbender.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A Break from the Heat

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Zhifeng
Zhifeng

EXP : 357
Birthday : 1990-04-01

Character Description
Position: Student & Craftsman
Nation: Fire Nation

A Break from the Heat  Empty
PostSubject: A Break from the Heat    A Break from the Heat  EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 11:32 pm

Zhifeng Shao

She wasn't doing anything. She was leaning against the vendor's stall, drinking the deliciously soothing tea she'd just purchased, and listening to his gossip in her ear - all the topics that only nobility would care about. In her uniform, she supposed that nobody could tell she wasn't one. But his chatter made a great excuse for her to be entirely separate from her classmates, as she needed to be. In part, she was distant because their conversation annoyed her: unlike the vendor's, it was empty and contained nothing interesting. It was also because she didn't want to get anything on her when her classmate's teacup exploded.

The vendor's voice quavered when he yelled his surprise. The girls alerted half the square with their shrill screams...at least, the ones who weren't in on it. Those two laughed obnoxiously, making their way back to the dark horse and her tea. And said horse - girl - Zhifeng of the family Fei - smiled as she received her co-conspirators. Droplets of tea made rivulets down one's cheek, and another had the pulverized remnants of ceramic in her hair. Zhi was, again, happy that she hadn't been around.

"Learn to dodge, Emilis." Zhifeng's innocent comments caused the pair beside her to erupt into fresh gales of laughter. She couldn't imagine why. "If that had been something more serious than a teacup...a bomb of greater power, meant to assassinate an heir...? Oh, my. I just cringe to think about it. Don't you?"

The girl in question, Emilis, said nothing. Yet as she watched Zhifeng, eyes never moving from the small smirk on the latter's face, the tea that stained her uniform began to smoke. It rose from her clothes, wreathing her face in delicate ashen wisps. "You laugh, you... Laugh. Go ahead. I'll have a word with the Mistress, and she'll expel you when I'm through!"

Her allies redoubled, tears streaming down their faces. It was starting to get somewhat irritating. "More creative threats, please. Clearly I was over here, doing nothing at all. You would sooner blame Jia Lee or Izaname than me - at least they were near you." More laughter as Emilis' face reddened, though Zhifeng couldn't blame her for that. Emilis' family was bottom-rung, barely elite, as far as the Royal Academy's students go. Challenging Jia Lee - who was only now wiping the tears from her cheeks - or Izaname - who rested her hand reassuringly on Zhifeng's shoulder - would be a strange social suicide for someone like her. Dishonor everywhere.

And she wasn't the only one who knew that. Emilis and her friends left, with a final disdainful glare at Zhifeng. Zhi clucked her tongue at the easy prank. Fire danced on the tip of her curled lip.

"No one's doing anything to you, Zhizhi." Izaname squeezed her shoulder and smiled, stepping back.

"Like they could." Jia Lee's giggle was faintly unsettling. She curled her fingers through the younger girl's and tugged - an invitation Zhifeng pulled herself out of.

"I think, actually, that I'm going to stay here for a bit. Finish my tea." She ignored Izaname's curious stare and the put-out pout of Jia. "I'll be along for Go later, alright? Leave me be." And sipped again, watching the retreating robes of her retainer fade into the crowd. Zhifeng was alone at the tea stall.

The vendor, being a wise man, said nothing. He had long since learned not to meddle in the affairs of nobles.

Mood: Ambitious
Condition: Restless

Last edited by Zhifeng on Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mozello Shao
Mozello Shao

EXP : 1100

Character Description
Position: Instructor

PostSubject: Re: A Break from the Heat    A Break from the Heat  EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 12:56 pm

Mozello 'Moth' Shao

The stranger had found herself to the square directed by the short, surprised screams and yelps of youngsters, the only landmark that seemed familiar in distant memories. Caldera was much like a living creature, its shape changing, expanding, evolving, each and every time she'd visited its walls. Buildings would come and go like dawn and dusk. This place always felt alien, the only permanent structures were that of the royalty and its segregated quarter, everything else was replaceable if it wasn't serving their coffers or purposes.

If it weren't for the fact that the firebending academia had its headquarters located here and she'd had been directly summoned for an instructors meet, Mozello would never even fathom visiting the crater city. She would also be absent from Fire Fountain Academy for several weeks thanks to this particular meeting, thankfully Cai had agreed to keep the previously planned lessons going on; so long as she received a gift that was unique to the capitol.

Doing her best to not look completely lost and out of sorts, she continued walking around the square, in any which way direction, assuming she didn't meander or stop to look around for directions nobody would suspect such. A young girl with a baleful look on her face dressed in dirtied student regalia stormed past her, hotly pursued by her group of friends. The instructor turned to watch them leave the square in haste, thankful that there was no spark of recognition in their eyes as they had moved on by, before directing her attention to the direction where they'd come from. A lone tea stand with a single customer.

'Perfect. An excuse to stop and get my bearings.'

Reaching into her long, gold leaf-trimmed coat she moved alongside Zhifeng and motioned her desire for tea to the man running the stall with a miming gesture, who obliged her request once she'd placed down payment in coins.

Mood: Curious
Condition: Lost

Back to top Go down
Zhifeng
Zhifeng

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Break from the Heat    A Break from the Heat  EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 4:40 pm

Zhifeng Shao

Tightly-manicured nails tapped the outside of her teacup, mulling over the lack of liquid within. It was Zhifeng's first in a series of dully interesting problems. Currently, it also happened to be foremost.

She knew that she was rapidly approaching the extent of all the Royal Academy for Girls could teach her. It was a sufficient place with decent instructors, and she still had much to learn when it came to history, sciences, and strategy. But bending... Firebending was the problem. Her teachers struggled to find material she didn't know. Her opponents called her rash and dangerous because she dueled them the only way she knew how: furiously, dispassionately. She'd sent Kyo along to her mother, telling her about this problem in a long letter - only to have the woman write back and admit no surprise. Where could she go to advance, then, if the only teachers she'd ever known were no use to her?

Zhifeng turned, nudging her cup over to the vendor for a refill; to find herself staring into the ribs of the woman already being served. She was...tall. Dragon's first flame, was she tall! And the trim of her jacket indicated a bearing richer than Zhifeng's native family could manage. Though as long as she lived in the Capital City, she was to act like a child of the Fei instead of the Shao, with all the decorum that new family dictated. Even if that decorum demanded the cruel and petty pranking of those lower-born.

"Wonderful service here, isn't it?" Surprisingly, the offhand comment left her suddenly dry-mouthed. The woman was peaceful enough, but there was a feeling of authority under it all. The kind of authority who would not be impressed with the stunt the young student had just pulled.

Last edited by Zhifeng on Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mozello Shao
Mozello Shao

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Break from the Heat    A Break from the Heat  EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 7:51 pm

Mozello 'Moth' Shao

Zhifeng's quip elicited a small smile on the taller woman's lips that had just tasted the tea the vendor passed over to her. The sarcastic undertone was mostly to blame and was responded to in kind, turning and craning her neck to face the young voice. Mozello was genuinely surprised that she'd spoken up to a clear adult, most of her age are typically in their own insular worlds and would only willingly speak to adults unless it was absolutely necessary to gain something or they were family.

"Quite."

Parched from her journey from city to city and fumbling around the lower quarters, the firebending instructor drank deeply from the teacup provided taking the bare minimum time to savor it. For a few fleeting seconds she was in her own little world of liquid refreshment, eyelids closed contently until there was nothing left to draw from the cup. Withdrawing from it with a small sigh of disappointment, her eyes drifted up then widened slightly, realizing she'd done all this in plain sight of the younger woman, Mozello's cheeks tinted with embarrassment and her broken face turned away slightly.

"Excuse my rudeness... It's been awhile since I've had anything to drink."

There was an element of uncertainty in her deep voice, as if unsure if she was addressing Zhifang properly, she had a gut feeling this fiery-haired girl could bring down great troubles upon her if approached incorrectly; the state of the girl who'd she witnessed heading in the opposite direction was clarification enough.

Mood: Flustered
Condition: Refreshed

Last edited by Mozello Shao on Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Zhifeng
Zhifeng

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Break from the Heat    A Break from the Heat  EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 8:34 pm

Zhifeng Shao

A smile, to match the one inspired in the older woman. Rather than the scorn or mockery some of her peers might have felt at her behavior, Zhifeng's interest was piqued by her reaction to the tea. She came to this stall often, finding the Yellow Tea it served to be the best in the Fire Nation. As such, she had no small amount of admiration for someone who really enjoyed a cup.

"No worries. Please, let me treat you to a refill? It seems like you could use the relief, if you'll excuse my saying so."

She picked up her own refill, holding it delicately for a sip. If Zhifeng heard that uncertainty, she was too busy dealing with her own unease to mention it. The woman's sense of authority, only niggling at the student's mind before, was screaming now. What was it about this lady that seemed so darned powerful?

"Are you new to the Capital City?"

Back to top Go down
Mozello Shao
Mozello Shao

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Break from the Heat    A Break from the Heat  EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 9:41 pm

Mozello 'Moth' Shao

The unexpected kindness hit like a blow to the gut, causing retraction of her previous thoughts, indicated subtly by a roll of her bottom lip against her teeth. Mozello had indeed enjoyed the good tea, but more out of the raw desire to quench her thirst more than the quality of the leaves. Was the lashing hostility she'd anticipated nothing more than an illusion of her own mind? A seed of doubt lingered.

"I'd appreciate it. Been on the road for nearly a week, water in rationed amounts... Unpleasant."

This gesture of goodwill had been well-received, the burned woman, now cupping the refilled teacup with both hands, felt it safer to open up to Zhifeng; even though they had not yet exchange names. Not quite as open the way she would be in more familiar settings, back in her hometown or at the academy with her own students. But it was a start.

"The Capital City is never the same when I'm making visits, so I guess you could say that. Heh."

Smile returning with a vengeance, she sipped the tea as was considered proper this time, taking the time to let its particular aroma seep into her tongue before swallowing the warm liquid. There was almost regret that she'd rushed the previous cup, but that was not of great importance.

Mood: Unwinding

Back to top Go down
Zhifeng
Zhifeng

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Break from the Heat    A Break from the Heat  EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 11:48 pm

Zhifeng Shao

The smile lingered as she paid for their teas, the proper coin spilling from her sleeve onto the counter. Was the stranger surprised to see civility from a girl her age? That spoke unusually of her. Nobles and the elite expected them to be respectfully downcast and silent all the time. It was the teachers that expected them to be pretty little harpies. "No trouble. There's nothing like a soothing cup of tea." She drank deeply from her own.

Zhifeng returned to her measured sips, leaning against the cart as warmth flavored her tongue. From the corners of her eyes, she sized up the woman. There were burns on her face that surely got more than their share of attention, and Zhifeng would take special precautions not to stare. Her eyes were bright, a color she hadn't often see around here, but far from off-putting. And again, that unsettling feeling of power.

"You travel? Please - I would love to hear where, and to what purpose." She was acting kind of improper, but the student didn't care. Somewhere out of this city! "My name is Zhifeng. If you need help finding anything here, I think I can be of assistance." There, that made up for it, didn't it? Service to one's elders was well and proper. Even better if they had some esteem.

Back to top Go down
Mozello Shao
Mozello Shao

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Break from the Heat    A Break from the Heat  EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 10:17 am

Mozello 'Moth' Shao

The two ladies, despite their vast age difference, would be seen as acting very similiar to a spectator. As soon as Zhifeng had finished sizing up Mozello, after a discreet flick of the irises between a calculated blink, she took her own turn to pry with azure eyes falling silently upon the chiseled girl; body remaining motionless as not to intentionally give the act away. It was a common event between people meeting for the first time, they would take private glances at one another to form a basis on how to approach the other; gauge their intentions.

"Pleasure to meet you, Zhifeng. I'm Mozello."

The instructor looked over her own shoulder once and spoke towards Zhifeng's pointy ear in a hushed tone. Unwilling to draw attention to her purpose for being here to random passersby, as the last time that happened, a burly man looking to prove himself the greater randomly challenged her to a duel on the spot. Her reputation as the 'Moth', her ringname at international bending tournaments only exacerbated the dilemma of being called out to fight at least once, usually twice a week.

"I'm heading to a meet and greet of sorts, at the Institution of Firebending."

Mozello hoped with a little faith instilled that the young student would not make a scene. She sipped the tea again, watching her face intensely for a reaction and doubly as a cautionary measure.

Mood: Unwinding

Back to top Go down
Zhifeng
Zhifeng

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Break from the Heat    A Break from the Heat  EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 8:51 pm

( Sorry for the delay! Took some time away from the computer for birthday shenanigans. )

Zhifeng Shao

Not making a scene (unless it proved advantageous to) was one of those lessons in manners practically ingrained in Zhifeng's mind. That said, those glistening greens widened suspiciously as the lady beside her introduced herself. Her cup was empty; the girl raised it to her lips anyway, tipping it up to offset her surprise and conceal lips pursed with thought. That name was so familiar. Had her mother said it once? Father? No... The radio, perhaps? The Academy did not allow its students many dalliances, so the ones the girls did entertain were done so in secret. Including various radio broadcasts of news, entertaining shows, and Pro-Bending matches.

...That was it. The Bending matches - and Mozello, the Moth: an expressive, explosive and powerful Firebender.

It had never been harder to keep her voice - and expression - even. "The pleasure is mine, Miss. If you'll excuse my saying, your reputation precedes you." When she was certain she could remain nonplussed, the teacup slowly lowered. It was like talking to a celebrity! Alas that she'd only ever heard the competitions on the radio, or the scars might have been a dead giveaway. "What brings you to the Institution?"

The student had never been there. It was close to the Palace, she surmised, and Zhifeng had never been closer to royal presence than her grandparents' estate. What could be going on there?

Mood: Curious!

Back to top Go down
Mozello Shao
Mozello Shao

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Break from the Heat    A Break from the Heat  EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 12:13 pm

Mozello 'Moth' Shao

"It's nice, sometimes, to have a reputation... But it goes both ways."

Her eyes narrowed in thought as she recalled back a few weeks ago, although the memory was not as clear as she'd liked thanks to her intoxicated state, the Fire Lord himself had called her out whilst she was just trying to get some alone time. If Mozello wasn't as good as the rapport garnered from tournaments as her Moth persona made out to be, his lordship probably would have killed her outright with his heavy-handed, relentless attacks. Permanent injury was narrowly averted, the only lingering damage being a strange, dulling sensation, that would arise in what she assumed to be her stomach from time to time; a faint reminder of the massive electrical charge she'd captured inside.

'Why do I have a feeling he had a hand in this?'

Snapping back to the present, she noticed Zhifeng's change in enthusiasm, those green eyes shone more like emeralds now. The instructor bashfully hid her own face almost on reflex, long, raven hair flicking to one side from the motion, before overriding the hand and pulling it back to her half-empty cup to give it something to hold on to. For someone who was known to be a merciless daredevil in combat, it sure didn't show in her behavior and the tell-tale burns that ran the length of the body could just as easily invoke pity instead of speculation.

"I can't go into specifics, here."

That reflex hand was once again given a use to keep it from crawling back to her face, gesturing behind herself without looking on that final word to the procession of cityfolk milling past in the open square to confirm.

Mood: Calm
Condition: Fine

Back to top Go down
Zhifeng
Zhifeng

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Break from the Heat    A Break from the Heat  EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 6:22 pm

Zhifeng Shao

"I can only imagine." Zhifeng couldn't, not really. But she had to stay polite, somehow countering the fingers that flexed and tapped anxiously on the edges of her cup. This was her chance, the answer to the most nagging of issues. Even if she put aside the Bending mastery, the Mot- Mozello had an air that she recognized in many of her instructors. Granted, those teachers were some of her least favorites - not at all manipulable, steadfast, stern and cognizant - but it was the lesson that mattered at the moment.

She watched the Moth as she thought, noting without impression her stilted movements. If people heard who she was, would they react so strongly? Maybe some fool would call her out right there on the street; what a treat it would be to see her trounce them.

"I understand." And she did this time. The cup, no longer needed for assurance, was set down in front of the inconspicuous vendor. "At least allow me to accompany you to the Crater's heart...? I would love to have more words with you, regardless." Oh, this was so improper. But wasn't a lull in her improvement even more so?

Mood: Curious!

Back to top Go down
Mozello Shao
Mozello Shao

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Break from the Heat    A Break from the Heat  EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 8:06 pm

Mozello 'Moth' Shao

Finishing her drink whilst pondering over Zhifeng's words, now wondering what her agenda was. It was clear from the light, almost inaudible tapping of fingernails that there was a want for something more than just a friendly elder to speak with, even if she was young and playing to the part. Mozello knew better than this from many years of teaching, spending time around her students both in and out of a learning environment.

"I don't see the harm in it. Alright, why not."

Mozello wasn't heartless enough to drop her new-found acquaintance, besides, it was a meaningless statement anyway, measuring that abandoning the student wasn't even a viable option anymore even if she wanted to. There was commanding presence around Zhifeng that was becoming more pronounced, the instructor surmised that she was the one who made friends, rarely the other way around. Returning her used teacup to the man minding his own business behind the counter, she turned to fully face the fiery-haired, albeit slightly shorter woman and with a moment of hesitation extended a hand to hold.

"I must admit, my memory of this city is pretty vague. Would you be so kind as to lead me, Lady Zhifeng?"

Smiling knowingly, Mozello made a mental note to herself to get at least one question in edgeways before this walk concluded, Zhifeng had been driving their conversation so far and would eventually run out of words. She mused as to how well the walls would be broke down between them in a short space of time, mist and shadows were never her preference and at the Institution... She'd probably have to deal with more than her fill.

Mood: Calm

Back to top Go down
Zhifeng
Zhifeng

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Break from the Heat    A Break from the Heat  EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 10:40 pm

Zhifeng Shao

Her acceptance brought a smile to Zhifeng's face. This one was unlike the malicious smirk she'd leveled at Emilis, or the self-confident half-smile she wore around her peers. This was a genuine, open expression of relief, pleased that the Moth had agreed to her company. Granted, she was also pleased that she was one step closer to her true intention - but really, it was more of the former. "Wonderful!" This happiness wasn't a side of herself that the student made a habit of showing to her classmates or even her grandparents. If she'd realized that she was showing it now, the obvious emotion would find itself quickly hidden away. But she didn't, and as she firmly grasped the older woman's hand, it remained visible; possibly because the drive to grow into a stronger bender was a real one, deeply personal, and not fostered by any kind of social reaching or the wishes of anyone else.

She was not completely open, however. Despite her delight in Mozello's company, Zhifeng took her request for leadership seriously. Seriously, though not without the proper courtesy, no matter how hard it was for her to keep up that facade. "It would be my honor to show you, Miss. Have you been away long?" Lightly callused fingers tugged gently at the ones in her own, free hand gesturing to the path she intended them follow.

Mood: Scheming
Condition: Excited

Back to top Go down
Mozello Shao
Mozello Shao

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Break from the Heat    A Break from the Heat  EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 11:44 pm

Mozello 'Moth' Shao

It was a simple holding of hands, or so you'd think. But there was more to it than that, far more. The texture of the digits brushing against her own, the intentionally lackadaisical grasp. There was hidden strength in this excited young lady, perhaps more than she wished to let on at this time. Mozello would keep a steady pace as they walked, maintaining this contact as long as Zhifeng desired. Azure eyes drifting back and forth between the direction they traveled and the happy-looking face down at her side.

"It's been two years since I last visited... I- I don't make a habit of coming here, it's too busy, too noisy... Too cutthroat."

The teacher was clearly not looking forward to the upcoming meeting, facial features faltering momentarily. There was far too much political influence in the higher echelons of the firebending academia, actions were taken not to benefit the people, but the royalty. The best teachers would be harangued into teaching those that paid the most, not those who were most willing to learn. It took considerable effort to remain indistinguishable, to avoid being dragged into this unspoken practice. Often the Moth would ask of her best and brightest students to dim the flame, to act lesser than their true aptitude, when being examined externally.

"How does one live here and not go mad?"

She brushed off her previous words jokingly, latching on to Zhifeng's happiness and emulating it.

Mood: Thoughtful

Back to top Go down
Zhifeng
Zhifeng

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Break from the Heat    A Break from the Heat  EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 3:27 am

Zhifeng Shao

Zhifeng kept her eyes front, gaze casually flickering between the various shops and stands that hemmed their path and the people that shared it. She did not look at Mozello, but neither did her hand move from the woman's touch. If anything, the fingers twitched from time to time, just barely, as if reaffirming that her hand was still there.

"So you've noticed it, too."

It wasn't a question. Saying it made some of the girl's quickened energy quiet, mindset switching from excitement to contemplation. The Moth's response touched very close to home, something she rarely heard among denizens of the City - although that could easily be because she lit sparks with the Crater elite. It was cutthroat. That was the perfect word to describe the way that the Academy, the City, and the Fei name left her feeling so trapped - embroiled in a pettiness and cruelty that should never have been a part of her. "There's something wrong here, isn't there? The girls talk about it sometimes - at the Royal Academy for Girls, where I attend - they talk about the actions of their parents. There is bureaucracy where there shouldn't be. I suspect corruption beneath even that." All spoken in a voice for Mozello's ears only, of course. The closer they came to the Crater's heart, the more patriotic people became.

Zhifeng looked down, watching the cobblestones skim beneath their steps. As she looked up, the taller woman's vantage could, were she watching, easily allow her see the smirk return. "Personally, I find it helpful to only live here part of the time." The question, though humorous, made a twisted kind of sense.

Mood: Open
Condition: Content

Back to top Go down
Mozello Shao
Mozello Shao

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Break from the Heat    A Break from the Heat  EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 11:45 am

Mozello 'Moth' Shao

"As far as I know Zhifeng, it's been like this long before even I was born. Best bear it as the rise and fall of the sun, no single person has the power to hold it back without being consumed."

She'd seen what usually happened to people who fought against the masquerade, even been privy to the conversations that instigated the punishment. Everything about them was plied and manipulated into an opposing force, they'd somehow lose their role in society, their family's honor and what they believed were their friends all at the same time. Very few survived this process mentally and merely faded away into the woodwork of the Caldera, never to be heard from again.

"Then you understand why I prefer to distance myself from it. As much as is physically possible."

Mozello want to point off into the far horizon, miles and miles away to her homestead. Within the Crater however there was no landscape except its curved walls, only magnifying its insular nature. If you rejected or questioned the Crater, it would destroy you like a virus. Instead she opted to gingerly squeeze the smaller hand still wrapped in hers, adding emphasis to her feelings on the matter through the applied pressure.

"So, your not native either?"

Mood: Empathic

Back to top Go down
Zhifeng
Zhifeng

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Break from the Heat    A Break from the Heat  EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 1:03 am

Zhifeng Shao

Mozello's words twisted an otherwise pretty face into a frown, deepening into a scowl. "But it isn't right. I would like to believe that I know enough about the depths of this Nation to know that whatever's going on, people are being hurt by it - and that isn't the way. I can't bring myself to accept that without quarrel." Zhifeng's eyes, slitted and wrathful in ranting, momentarily widened as she felt her fingers squeezed in empathy. She returned the gesture, adding a silent apology, and a mental step back from the edge of her passion. She had learned the Fire Nation's manners better than that. "I have my doubts, Miss. Is it that no one has the power to hold it, or that no one with that power has tried?

"Nevertheless, I can understand."
Her eyes lifted to the Crater's edge, surveying those same encompassing walls. Some of her classmates and, surely, many of her teachers found them comforting. She would flee them and never look back, if only she could. "I was born in Shu Jing, so not native, exactly. But my school is here, and I am under my mother's lineage while I attend." Zhifeng's hands went to her throat. From beneath the high collar of her uniform, she pulled a small necklace, upon which hung a small, circular crest: a flame engulfing a serpent, the mark of the Fei family. Her voice turned bitter. "However much longer that will be."

Just visible below the ornate symbol - worn much closer to her heart - was a crude metal engraving of a firebird. A gift to his little bird, the outstretched wings held her father's signature: Shao.

Back to top Go down
Mozello Shao
Mozello Shao

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Break from the Heat    A Break from the Heat  EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 3:17 pm

Mozello 'Moth' Shao

The maturity and machinations of Zhifeng would definitely shame her peers, if she ever showed this side of her to them, which was doubtful in the instructor's mind. There was a faint tinge of recognition when looking down at the lithe, unscarred woman who's passions were almost going unchecked now; a reflection of her own past, perhaps.

"The power you speak of isn't allowed to blossom freely in this nation... Without being controlled, everything is regulated."

Which brought Mozello in a full circle back to that drunken Agni Kai with the Fire Lord that kept nagging her thoughts, a man of that strength and standing does not merely visit a tavern on the backside of his territory, miles away from anything of great import, just to pick a fight like some half-wit trying to prove himself. Smiling to herself as Zhifeng's features began to smooth out again, this girl she was holding hands with was secretly becoming more helpful to her than just a guide.

And then the pendant came out. And there was reason to pause.

"Sh-sh-Shao?"

No. It couldn't be, right? Right? Mozello seemed to be frozen in place, her hand went limp in Zhifeng's as she tried to tie her thoughts back together. Surely it was just coincidence that they thought alike and got along so well so suddenly, right? There's no way she could have a little sister and not know about it! Sure, she didn't see eye to eye with her parents but they would have sent word!

'Calm down. Think back abit.'

"-I am under my mother's lineage while I attend."

'There you go. Now relax.'

The Moth stopped staring into the necklace like it was naked flame and quickly remarked on the shape, attempting to draw attention away from the hesitation in that previous word and episode she'd just had in her head. Those shining, blue eyes of her seemingly ignored the presence of the snake adornment, either from lack of interest or caring.

"Is that a Phoenix?"

Mood: Indecipherable
Condition: Fine?

Back to top Go down
Zhifeng
Zhifeng

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Break from the Heat    A Break from the Heat  EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 6:42 pm

Zhifeng Shao

"...I know." However reluctant she was to admit it, she did know. Mozello's words did nothing but make it clearer: the way their 'History of the Fire Nation' and patriotism courses preceded anything that had to do with bending or combat, the constant reports of classmates' brothers finishing school, and heading straight for the Nation army. The fact that there was even a Royal Academy in the first place! Shouldn't every Fire Nation girl and boy be privy to the teachings she received - from those they were told were the best instructors in the world? "Truth be told, I...I am in trouble, at the Academy. There are several marks against my name for demanding to progress my firebending." Zhifeng's smooth, confident scheme from earlier was unraveling, mouth unwilling to follow the charade any longer. She had never planned to reveal that her Academy record was in danger of tarnish. "I have studied every form they have shown me, come to the point where few of my classmates will stand and spar with me on equal ground. My teachers tell me to redirect my energies elsewhere, and continually refuse to show me more. If they are the best, why do they hide their secrets?" It was a downright sorrowful state of affairs. For all the mask she wore while in the Caldera's walls, Zhifeng's ambition to excel at and love of firebending were real.

Her train of thought ended abruptly, though. At Mozello's question, her hand moved protectively to the smaller iron emblem. "Yes, Shao. It is my birthname. My mother, Barzha Fei, left the Capital City to be with my father. She discarded her old name, and took his." That rare, genuine smile crossed the girl's face as she nodded, her fingers tracing the phoenix's detailed wings. "My family have always called me their little firebird. Father made this to remind me of that right before I began classes here. In eight years, I've gone nowhere without it."

Back to top Go down
Mozello Shao
Mozello Shao

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Break from the Heat    A Break from the Heat  EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 10:43 pm

Mozello 'Moth' Shao

"Sounds like you've been asking too many questions to the wrong people."

Regaining composure and leaning back to her upright stance, she withdrew from Zhifeng's personal space, that necklace of hers was clearly a precious grounding item, something to keep her sane in this false home away from home. The concern that had rushed into her earlier that she might have been walking completely unawares with a family-member fading into memory, Shao was a regular name after all; the common traits they shared were what had tripped that alarm.

"Well that's the trick isn't it? They probably see you as too much of an unknown quantity now, why risk training you further and potentially lose their ability to keep you under wraps?"

The Moth's teeth flashed with a mischievous grin, Zhifeng had made her intentions clear to the instructor now whether she'd done so voluntarily or not. Interest had been piqued by the mentioned fact that other firebenders had been actively avoiding fights, something that she remembered fondly from her own childhood. Something primal inside stirred, suggesting that, perhaps, the prodigal student she'd been searching for resided within this one before her.

"I have no such qualms."

'I'm not letting this slip through my fingers.'

Mozello was now fighting an internal struggle. Part of her want to reject this reckless abandon, conclude her business within the capitol and hastily beat back home to her loyal, aspiring students who were in much more need of her training. The other side however, was hooked to the prospect of witnessing this singular fire be fed to bursting and was refusing to it let go easy.

Mood: Conflicted

Back to top Go down
Zhifeng
Zhifeng

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Break from the Heat    A Break from the Heat  EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 12:36 am

Zhifeng Shao

What an odd reaction... Zhifeng wasn't sure what to make of Mozello's behavior, tucking both crests back into her collar. Instead, she squeezed the hand still wrapped around her own. If the older woman could channel emotion that way, the student saw no reason she shouldn't reciprocate in kind.

And then the Moth finished speaking, and said student's confusion turned into an odd mix of triumph and unmitigated excitement. She stopped, hardly registering that they were within eye-shot of the palace's royal court. Hand and body froze in surprise. Eyes already bright positively gleamed with verdant flames. "I don't want to be controlled." She didn't, that much was true. Especially if "controlled" really meant "weaker than she had the potential to be". "Are you...implying that you could train me, Miss Mozello?" Please?

While the older woman might have regained her composure, Zhifeng's threatened to shatter all over again; with glee in lieu of wrath. The Moth, her firebending instructor...! She could only imagine the things to be learned. It would solve all of her problems at once!

Mood: Incredulous

Back to top Go down
Mozello Shao
Mozello Shao

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Break from the Heat    A Break from the Heat  EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 11:15 am

Mozello 'Moth' Shao

The excitement emanating from the bundle that was Zhifeng was almost palpable. Hoping that she'd retained her level-headedness, she began the process of deconstructing that excitement. As much as she just wanted to say yes, social politics were in the way that had to be dealt with first.

"Maybe, it all depends on you little bird."

Putting a spare hand to her hip matter-of-factly, she tilted her vision skywards as if addressing nobody. The Moth in her had a strange habit of giving people, personal nicknames, after getting a grasp of their mannerisms. A mane of unkempt raven hair danced in an errant gust of wind, negating Zhifeng's ability to see the expression on her lifted face.

"You see, I've an academy of students waiting for me back at Fire Fountain City. Tomorrow morning, I should be setting off to return to them."

Mozello couldn't be seen publicly dropping her entire academy class to the wayside on a whim. The board of instructors would have none of it! No, it had to look like she was an unwilling participant in this affair or it just wouldn't work. Her mentor Cai would probably understand the circumstances if she failed to return, as they had often discussed the very subject whilst sharing a bottle of sake at her house.

"If you've garnered any favors, now would be the time to call on them."

Mood: Cryptic

Back to top Go down
Zhifeng
Zhifeng

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Break from the Heat    A Break from the Heat  EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 7:58 pm

Zhifeng Shao

There was some self-control still fluttering within the student, but it was of sparse amount. The majority of her typically solemn mentality had given itself over to the excitement of finally learning - finally growing past the silly limitations long set upon her.

Though she couldn't see her face, Zhifeng didn't dare take her eyes from the Moth. Depended on her? The girl was momentarily torn. How could such a thing as this depend on her; and at the same time, what did she have to do to make sure things went her way? This, the creation and execution of surprisingly nefarious plans, was the sort of thing that the girls of the Royal Academy were being bred for. To sway things to her own advantage was easy, a strength that Zhifeng's grandparents had taught her were a necessity for a young official to know. And the wheels in said young official's head were already grinding away. She had favors she could call in, yes; but more immediately she had connections. Powerful ones, thankfully enough, that she would have no trouble employing with the proper persuasions...

"So were you to be...detained in the City, then returning to Fire Fountain would take a backseat to said detainment." The face turned up to the Moth's still held eyes that flamed, and a clever smile made small with the onset of a secret scheme. "Surely there are teachers other than yourself for your students, what with your inevitable tournament absences? And perhaps they could cover for you, in the event of an unfortunate hold-up?"

Mood: Incredulous

Back to top Go down
Mozello Shao
Mozello Shao

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Break from the Heat    A Break from the Heat  EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 10:05 pm

Mozello 'Moth' Shao

Mozello's jaw lowered slightly at this response, signifying that her mouth was indeed open. But it took several seconds for anything to utter forth, as if there was reluctance to confirm that she'd already such countermeasures in place. That opposing force swelled with new-found pride and arrogance knowing it had already set the wheels irrevocably into motion, much to the woman's confusion.

"Yes."

Looking back down to Zhifeng, she noticed behind the ardent, emerald flames that burned in the little bird's irises plans formulating, plans that would keep her ensnared and bound within the imposing walls of the capitol city. Part of her hated the prospect of having to stay here, but perhaps with this one to keep her enthused, fully integrating with the venomous locale and their ways wouldn't be as arduous.

"Make it look convincing."

Mood: Conflicted

Back to top Go down
Zhifeng
Zhifeng

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Break from the Heat    A Break from the Heat  EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 4:59 am

Zhifeng Shao

The clever smirk grew. The Moth, her personal tutor...she couldn't get over the idea. Every problem that had troubled her the last few months would be easily solved, and she would have access to firebending knowledge the like of which her present instructors could scarcely dream. And that, after all, was the entire reason she'd been sent to the Royal Academy. Finally she could grow. She could better herself. She could burn powerfully, wildly, free!

And all there was to it was finding a way to keep Mozello here - something that would actually work to her advantage, if only she could get hold of the proper influences. Zhifeng's other hand reached for the older woman's, twining both together with earnest agreement over her palm. Her eyes narrowed slightly, still shining; the student was once again the put-together and influential young woman first met at the tea vendor's stall. After all, like poor Emilis, this too was a plan that needed to go off without a hitch.

"There won't be a soul who dares to question it." She assured with the air of a promise. Her teacher and her dreams were so close, Zhifeng could feel the heat of them. There was so much to do, and such a small time frame to work within, to bring them to light.

Mood: Scheming

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Break from the Heat    A Break from the Heat  Empty

Back to top Go down

A Break from the Heat
Page 1 of 1