The Last Airbender: New Chapters RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Airbender: New Chapters RP - take a roleplay voyage through the world of The Last Airbender.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Challenge of Uncertainty [OPEN]

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Zhin Lyautey
Zhin Lyautey

EXP : 1575
Birthday : 1990-04-09

Character Description
Position: Artist; Architect
Nation: Fire Nation

The Challenge of Uncertainty [OPEN] Empty
PostSubject: The Challenge of Uncertainty [OPEN]   The Challenge of Uncertainty [OPEN] EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 5:02 pm

Given how new I am and such, Anyone who wants to join can do so.

Zhin Lyautey

One day passed after the other, and the day afterwards passed as well, and such was the boring pattern of everyday life for Zhin.
Okay, so maybe it was not all boring, but she was getting bored with her time spent back home in the Fire Fountain City. that was just sometimes how Zhin felt, and ever since she had begun travelling the world, sitting around anywhere, especially at home, had never quite been the same to her. there was still so much more to see; so much more to do.

Despite the warnings that the town authority often gave that advised citizens, particularly women, children, or the elderly, to stay indoors after the sun went down, that was never something to stop Zhin. her lust for adventure drew her towards the bright moon in the sky and into the dodgy streets of the city at night.
She had no real destination in mind as she travelled; she was simply following the brightest lights, which always seemed to be visible from around the nearest streetcorner or from behind the next building.

Zhin put one booted foot in front of the other, hearing little besides the breeze and the sound of her footfalls. after a while, she began hearing the sound of fire--something was burning.
Judging from Zhin's reaction, one might have thought that it was commonplace. she kept walking, her face remaining blank and calm. Anyone who lived here knew that it was just the sounds of the Fire Fountain for which the city was named. Zhin approached it because of the bright light from the flames, as well as the silver moonlight which poured down overhead. the central plaza was devoid of tall buildings and features, leaving plenty of open sky. the lights from the flames and from the various streetlights and lanterns made viewing the stars a bit difficult, but the bright full moon was another story altogether.

She sat down at the foot of this fountain, gazing up into the sky. To some, she might have looked like the perfect target: a young, unarmed girl alone on the streets at night. To others, she may have been dangerous. After all, most people said it was the quiet ones that you had to watch out for.
Either way, Zhin did not actually have a reputation here of being someone dangerous. A few folks who knew her knew that she could hold her own in the average fight. Most of all, Zhin was fast, both in running speed and in reflexes, and she had learned that there were plenty of times when running was the better of the two options when the 2nd option was to face the opponent.

Zhin crossed her legs, leaning her head back to stare towards the clear sky.
“I almost feel like I should be asking myself what—or who—I am waiting for.” She pondered, “I came here without any set idea in mind, but is fate really going to let me continue to wander by the sidelines?”
She paused, glancing out towards the sea, the moonlight glimmering on the waves in the distance. The rugged terrain in the area meant that the city was a little higher up than the coast, and so at the right angle, you could see the sea from the Fire Fountain.
For that matter, she paused to glance up at the structure she was seated at the base of. This was a true work of art; a massive statue of the current Firelord, a woman named Shula that Zhin had never formally met. The hours and effort that had to have gone into this thing... this was the type of thing that Zhin deeply appreciated, and already ideas were brewing in her mind. designing things; building things; that was where her passions began.

She snapped herself back to reality for a moment, glancing around her. so far the place looked deserted, but she knew that this could change at a moment's notice, given how many streets converged in the area. Perhaps she would wait and see.

Mood: A little bored
Condition: Healthy
Link:

Back to top Go down
Shula
Staff Admin
Shula

EXP : 4645
Birthday : 1996-03-21

Character Description
Position: Fire Lord

PostSubject: Re: The Challenge of Uncertainty [OPEN]   The Challenge of Uncertainty [OPEN] EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 7:07 pm

Well howdy, Zhin. Welcome to NC. *tips hat*

Shula Njoo

"Come on!" Shula called to the guard lumbering after her as she ran towards the shores below Fire Fountain City. He was panting lightly, fairly young--he was younger than most, and she'd decided to take him along because he wouldn't know that he could literally drag her off if he believed her safety was at stake.

Tossing a silken robe onto the sand, Shula dove into the water happily. "Lady Shula, you must come back to the inn! It isn't appropriate for you to be here!" the guard, Ren-Ja she thought was his name, squeaked as she came up for air. With a laugh, Shula dove under the water yet again, kicking her legs and flowing with the water as a dolphin-turtle might.

Hours later, as the sun dove behind the landscape, Shula got out of the water, moving towards her silken robe. Ren-Ja handed her a towel, expecting to lead her back to their inn within the city before setting off for the Capital yet again in the morn. Instead, she managed to ditch him, smiling all the while.

Shula hummed lightly as she walked through the lovely streets of Fire Fountain City, finally free and drying her hair off as she retied it into little ties on the sides of her face. Her body was covered by the cream-colored silken robe, as she was now fully dry and it wouldn't harm the thing. She didn't really know where she was heading until she noticed the great fountain for which the city was named, an enormous full body statue of her cresting the top. She looked at this for a while.

Her face wasn't smiling, but her eyes were kind. Her hair, half of it piled on top of her head with a crown in the middle, reached her lower back, loosely waving. She'd heard of the thing, but had never seen it personally. The kimono in which the creators depicted her in was very pretty, with a long billowing skirt, her hands hidden inside of the long sleeves.

She grunted in approval--something she would never do unless she was alone, and moved to circle the thing; her extremely small feet (bound when she was growing up) were encased in red satin ballet slippers, allowed her to move gracefully and quietly. She moved with the care and attention that was hard to master, her long willowy body seeming to flow with the light breeze. She came around to the side, before spotting a young woman, just sitting there. She didn't make any approach towards her, although she didn't back away either. She just stood their for a moment, analyzing her.

She was pretty, dressed fairly modestly. Her hair was dark, and her face young; it was obvious that she was well-off. She was very Fire Nation-esque in appearance. Shula was analyzing her boots as she stood there, finally done fidgeting with her dark raven-colored locks.

Mood: Fine
Condition: Wonderful

Back to top Go down
Zhin Lyautey
Zhin Lyautey

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: The Challenge of Uncertainty [OPEN]   The Challenge of Uncertainty [OPEN] EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 11:49 pm

Why thank you =). I hope to have a good RPing time here.

Zhin Lyautey

In the silence of the evening, Zhin almost began to zone out, staring blankly ahead of her. Had she not been the more sophisticated type, she might have even had a string of drool hanging out one of the corners of her mouth, but that was far too rude a thing for her to do in public, even if she was alone. She was a lady, and moreso, a lady with dignity that she was not about to lose.
Either way, it was a while before she snapped out of this mini-trance, thanks to a faint noise, or so she thought. Maybe it was just the breeze, or a bird flying from one surface to the other. Zhin’s light green eyes darted left and right and she hardly moved her head. If someone was trying to sneak up on her from behind, they would have to climb the large (and probably mostly hollow) metal statue, and would need to do so without making any noise. Zhin’s reflexes were not about to let that happen either way.

As puny as humans seemed compared to other animals, given their lack of claws, fur, fangs, wings, and such, they clearly had an advantage over the rest of the world. Despite being little more than soft, warm, and puny creatures on their own, they were nothing impressive until one took into account their intellect. This was the type of simile that Zhin enjoyed making. While she was indeed a young, unarmed rich girl, she was far from weak, and her trump cards were ones that could not be beheld with the naked eye. Inside her head were tactics, knowledge, and a variety of other things—the selfsame things that had brought humanity itself to the leading role in the circle of nature. This was especially true of benders, but even those without such gifts, like herself, were still plenty dangerous.

One of the inherent talents that humans had was that they always seemed to know when they were being watched. Not all of them could react quickly enough should they be in danger, but that acute sense of awareness was present, and Zhin was no exception. She cocked her head instantly in the direction of her observer, her billowing black waves flinging with her, softly petting her face before falling back over her shoulder. Her expression remained unchanged, and her legs were still crossed, one of her feet still lightly swaying rhythmically. While she was being analyzed, Zhin analyzed the woman in return from what she could see in the dim light.

“This is someone sophisticated,” she noted, “rich, perhaps, at the very least. Light colored robes at night; perhaps she does not wish to get lost in the shadows. Though… one must wonder what she is doing late at night? Is she perhaps doing the same thing I am, and waiting for something or someone that she knows not of? Perhaps she has other things on her mind that bring her here. I do not think she knows me, nor I her, however. I wonder if she is nervous. The way she is fidgeting with her hair makes it seem like she is either out when she is not supposed to be, or is guilty of something. That is not for me to decide, however. Perhaps I am simply overthinking it.”
Zhin’s lips remained softly closed as they usually did when she was analyzing something or someone. She appeared so silent and unreactive, and yet there were so many things running through that mind of hers at any given time. The light color of Shula’s robes enabled Zhin to see where her arms were against the darker background, but it did not cause Zhin to open her mouth—not at first anyways.

She mentally followed the path from the visitor’s eyes to where it stopped, which appeared to be around her feet. This was enough to make her speak up.
“Do I by chance have something on my boot?” she asked gently, glancing from it towards the woman watching her. She was not trying to be rude, but was aware that she was being watched, and not only wished to know why, but also perhaps to learn a little about who this was. If nothing else, it would be a nice little conversation, provided that Zhin got an answer at all.
Mood: Curious
Link:

Back to top Go down
Shula
Staff Admin
Shula

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: The Challenge of Uncertainty [OPEN]   The Challenge of Uncertainty [OPEN] EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 12:15 pm

'Welcome, dear. (: No worries, those of this site are rather warm and welcoming; I can 100% guarantee that your experience here will not be a foul one. :3

Shula Njoo

As Shula finished her observations of the girl, she meant to observe the area around, but before she did so, a voice spoke. "Do I by chance have something on my boot?" came the gentle question, Shula's eyes flicking back towards her face, framed by such sweet wavy locks. She visibly sweat-dropped; "Oh, no, my apologies, dear. I found them quite nice, actually; usually when females wear boots they look awkward, or masculine, yet you have managed to pull the look off with quite a nice amount of finesse." Shula returned, simply stating what had been on her mind.

She took a few small steps forward, so that the other woman could better see her, and she in turn could see her. She was slightly curious, as the streets of the great city were all but empty except a wayward traveler here and a mugger there. Part of her wondered what the woman was doing out here, and being who she was, she didn't hesitate in asking. "You're all alone," she observed. "Perhaps waiting for someone?" she inquired, her voice soft and gentle, like it could get lost in the breeze, but she was always certain to be heard.

She drew the pink sash around her waist a bit tighter, her slender hands gripping the ends for but a moment before falling back to her sides, as a gentle breeze had started; during the day, with the heat of the Nation, such a breeze would be welcome. Here was where she wished for that stuffy kimono--beautiful, yes, but restrictive--as it always managed to keep her warm. Instead, she simply used her chi to warm her a bit, bringing a slight amount of color to her cheeks, offsetting her eyes further.

She looked up at the fountain, her cheeks reddening further, although more from embarrassment that she'd been admiring her own statue. "My apologies, again. I seem to have forgotten my manners! My name is Shula Njoo; might I be so bold as to ask for yours?" she said, her voice still gentle, still soft, although a little more warm than previously.

Back to top Go down
Zhin Lyautey
Zhin Lyautey

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: The Challenge of Uncertainty [OPEN]   The Challenge of Uncertainty [OPEN] EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 12:52 pm

Zhin Lyautey

It made Zhin curious as to why the visitor was sweating the way she was, but Zhin thought little of it. Perhaps she was just shy around people. It was a common trait that was not necessarily even a bad one. Zhin admired certain aspects of shyness and introversion.
It did cause her to lightly chuckle when she heard Shula’s comment, however.
“I suppose the same could be said about women wearing trousers in some cases,” she chortled, “though I would much sooner remove a boot than the latter.”
Zhin did not mind a little humor, depending on the company. If the meeting was casual, her speech would reflect it, just as it would if the event were a more formal one.
“Either way… thank you.” She added at the end, for she was among the majority who liked compliments towards their outfits or appearances.

The two drew closer together as Zhin was approached by the other woman. She could see her a bit clearer now. If Zhin stood up, the two would probably be about the same height.
“There is something regal about her.” Zhin mused, “I need to figure out a way to learn what it is without suddenly blurting it out. It is not a very good conversation starter, for one thing. Is this… it can’t be her, can it? this woman almost looks like the Fire Lord—the very statue I am sitting on.”
Zhin resisted the urge to turn her head towards the statue behind her, because breaking contact during a conversation was rude. Thus, she was paying enough attention to hear her voice, which was soft, but very clear in the quiet night and the calm breeze.
“To be honest, I do not know myself.” She replied, “I simply came here to come here, I guess. I was not waiting for anything or anyone in particular, but I suppose now that you are here, I was waiting for you!”
She gave another light chortle, flipping some hair out of her face.

After hearing the introduction, Zhin’s eyes widened for an instant, to the point where they were nearly perfectly round. She collected herself a split second later.
“I knew I should have listened to that nagging voice!” she screamed inside her head, “Zhin, you fool. This is the Firelord herself! What are you doing and where are your manners? Calm down, Zhin. Think about this for a moment. You do not have to go into a frenzy. Just take a deep breath and make a response.”

“Oh!” she exclaimed, “my mistake indeed,” she stood up, “I apologize for not recognizing you, Fire Lord.” She gave a respectful bow as would be customary, but she was not about to lick the ground where Shula’s feet stood. She was simply being respectful, not sucking up.
“My name is Zhin,” she replied, straightening. She had been right about the two being about the same height once standing up, “Zhin Suzume Lyautey. Again, I feel obligated to apologize for not recognizing you earlier, though it also begs the question—what brings you out to a place like this on a night such as this?” she glanced up at the moon, also catching a quick glance at the statue behind her. Yep, now she saw it—this was definitely the Firelord she was talking to.
She turned her head back towards Shula to await an answer if one was given.
Mood: Intrigued
Link:

Back to top Go down
Shula
Staff Admin
Shula

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: The Challenge of Uncertainty [OPEN]   The Challenge of Uncertainty [OPEN] EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 3:01 pm

Shula Njoo

Shula watched the other woman's eyes widening and inwardly sighed, although her expression didn't change. Perhaps she could've continued conversing with the woman before telling her that she was the Fire Lord. She stood, apologizing, then bowing. Shula returned the bow gracefully, straightening as she spoke again.

"A pleasure to meet you, Zhin. No need to apologize, I understand perfectly. It was quite nice to converse equally with you." she returned. They were the same height, which pleased Shula inwardly; many claimed she was a tall woman, it was nice to meet one of the same stature. She apologized again, giving her full name.

"Don't worry about it, dear, really. As for being here...well, it's nice to get away from the Palace sometimes. And the night is a nice one; forgive my attire, as I'd come up from a swim down by the shores." she returned, watching as Zhin took a glance to the statue. Shula relayed no reaction to this.

"What of you? I do believe I recognize the name Lyautey. You're a noble, are you not?" she inquired with a smile.

Apologies for the shorter post, dearie. :3
Back to top Go down
Zhin Lyautey
Zhin Lyautey

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: The Challenge of Uncertainty [OPEN]   The Challenge of Uncertainty [OPEN] EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 3:27 pm

It is fine. Sometimes there is much to say, other times there is not.

Zhin Lyautey

Zhin had already been suspicious that Shula was the Fire Lord based on her appearance compared to that of the statue that she had spent a moment looking at just a few minutes earlier. Combine that with the number of people named Shula, and the odds of this being a different Shula were extremely slim. But… no matter. Zhin was not about to grovel.
“Alright then.” She nodded, “If you are okay with conversing equally, then I am as well. I simply did not wish to disrespect you. Manners run deep in my blood.” She chuckled lightly, but meant every word of it. She had grown up with that mindset, and frankly, she saw no reason why being respectful would ever be seen as a bad thing. She knew the line between respecting, schmoozing, and brown-nosing.

She listened to Shula’s words, already making observations.
“She is kinder than I expected, but I cannot complain. She seems very modest, humble, and down-to-earth. I see a good leader in this woman. She either wants something from me, or simply wishes to treat me as her equal. I frankly do not mind it, and so there is no reason for me to fight it. The shores… mmm, There are times when I wish to do the same. Perhaps I should find a good afternoon to take a trip to the beach, perhaps. Maybe I should fantasize less—at least for the time.”

Zhin snapped herself back to reality. There was another phrase Shula uttered that took Zhin’s fancy.
“You say you like to get away from the palace sometimes… do you like exploring? Travelling, perhaps?”
If this was true, it was something that Zhin could heavily relate to.
“Perhaps she understands the plight of many nobles, who feel confined when they are kept in one area for such long periods of time. If she feels trapped, I would certainly sympathize with her, as I understand what that is like, though it is not duty that traps me, but my own foolish inaction. I suppose if I am complaining this much, that I should rectify my problem a bit more. There is nothing forcing me to stay in Fire Fountain if I do not wish it.”

“That sounds like fun.” She agreed, “It is nice to get away sometimes, and to unwind by doing what you please and going where you wish. I respect that. I really do.”
“Aye,” she added after hearing the question, “I am of the noble house of Lyautey. We live here in the Fire Fountain City, and have since the days when it was called North Chung-Ling. So… you simply came out here to take a dip in the ocean?”
It was a curious question, but surely there had to be more to Shula’s visit here than a simple swim. There were plenty of other islands, many with beaches far better than these… but, perhaps she was being too nosy? Was this her business?
Hopefully Shula was honest enough to say if she thought Zhin was being too meddlesome. She doubted that she had actually gone this far, as her questions were mostly just curious.

Link:

Back to top Go down
Shula
Staff Admin
Shula

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: The Challenge of Uncertainty [OPEN]   The Challenge of Uncertainty [OPEN] EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 3:50 pm

Shula Njoo

“If you are okay with conversing equally, then I am as well. I simply did not wish to disrespect you. Manners run deep in my blood.” Zhin returned, chuckling. Shula nodded with quite a pleased smile--many chose to ignore the fact that she wanted to be treated as an equal, preferring to grovel and generally be a'ss-kissers.

"Oh, yes, I love to explore. Travel is wondrous, as there is just so much out there that I have yet to see. But alas, I belong here, serving my country; I still get out and about now and again, like now." she said with a kind smile, although her eyes were a little sad. "I'm lucky to have been born so highly, never knowing the pangs of hunger or cold, but freedom is something that I have a deep hunger for; 'tis only natural, all beings of nature do not enjoy confinement." Shula said, unworrying about revealing so much of her own self.

"Ah, yes, I know of your family house. Ancient blood rooted in ancient tradition, no?" she chuckled before listening to Zhin's question. "Ah, well, I'm a lover of water. In a previous life, I'm sure I was a waterbender of some form." Shula answered, before pausing. "Although, I must admit, I'm not here just for the pleasures of sinking below the waves. I have a bit of business to take care of with the leader of a gang of outlaws that have been terrorizing the citizens in Shu Jing and pilfering the Sun Warriors' city."

Part of her wondered her reasons for just letting Zhin know, but it was no small news that crime rates had gone up a bit. It was, after all, Shula's job to put an end to it.

Back to top Go down
Zhin Lyautey
Zhin Lyautey

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: The Challenge of Uncertainty [OPEN]   The Challenge of Uncertainty [OPEN] EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 12:35 pm

Zhin Lyautey

Zhin nodded, fully understanding. “Cherish that liberty,” she agreed, “for I believe that a life of poverty without confinement would beat a life of luxury without freedom. I am glad that you are able to get out and about though. Someone as friendly and pretty as you deserves that type of freedom.”
She meant it as little more than a compliment, not implying that she was attracted to Shula at all. It was simply how Zhin saw it.

“I would be lying if I said I did not enjoy the high life.” Zhin chuckled lightly in response, “but I am with you on the matter. There is far too much of the world left for me to explore for me to just be satisfied staying here. That is part of the reason why I travel, or at the very least, enjoy doing so.”
“I almost feel like there is more that I need to say on the matter, but perhaps there is not. I suppose that if there is something that I feel needs to be said, that it will come to me in due time. Until then, there is no reason for me to dwell on it.”

Zhin chortled softly at Shula’s remark regarding her family. “You might say that. Perhaps that explains my own mannerisms. We are so rooted deeply in tradition that such gestures of respect never quite died on us. I suppose that your family would probably be similar given your heritage and position, no?”
“I see nothing wrong with that,” she smiled, “water is not about to extinguish a firebender the way it extinguishes a flame. There are plenty of times when I don’t mind a little dip in the water myself.”

Then she cut to what business had brought her here. Strangely, it did not surprise her.
“Crime in the evenings has never quite been the same since after the end of Novai’s war.” She mused, “if they have spread to Shu Jing and the Sun Warrior city, who is to say that they are not rooted here? There is plenty of activity that slips past the authorities… I wonder if Shula is aware…”
“A gang of outlaws, you say?” Zhin’s interest perked, “Surely you of all people are familiar with the roguish activity that goes down here throught the evening and early morning hours, no? Have you located the source of the commotion, or are they on the move too much?”

As a regular resident of Fire Fountain City for many years, Zhin knew many of the ins and outs, having been caught in a few scuffles herself, some of which she won, an occasional loss, and plenty where she decided that running was the best option. Either way, she was enjoying the conversation, even if it had just shifted to criminal activity. She hoped that Shula did not mind.

Link:

Back to top Go down
Shula
Staff Admin
Shula

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: The Challenge of Uncertainty [OPEN]   The Challenge of Uncertainty [OPEN] EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 2:04 pm

Shula Njoo

Shula blushed a bright pink at Zhin's compliment; while she knew she was good-looking, she wasn't used to people being quite so blunt--or perfectly honest--about it. Usually it was just people who enjoyed grovelling at her feet, and didn't mean a thing. Shula continued listening, quite enjoying the sound of Zhin's voice; it didn't grate on her ears like most.

"Well, the high life does make things plenty easier," Shula laughed, recalling just how much harder everything would be if she didn't have the title of FIRE LORD in front of her name at all times. But then, in some ways, it could probably make a few things easier--like falling in love or finding real friends.

"Oh, you can bet on that; there's so many old rules and traditions in the Palace that you'd be quite surprised. Even I do not know of them all, and I've lived there my entire life! It's as though those old things just refuse to die out unless it's in their own time." She responded to Zhin's comments of mannerisms.

To her comment of water, Zhin's response made her smile. She was glad she felt as such; all too often, firebenders didn't like water--or feared it. [Such is true of my character Nokomi.] Shula found water to be lovely, though, and enjoyed a swim whenever she could.

All pleasantries aside, Zhin finally responded to the topic of crime. “Crime in the evenings has never quite been the same since after the end of Novai’s war.” she commented, and Shula nodded grimly. Novai, the damned fool, had given the world more problems than solutions in his time. Then came the next observation--something that had been poking and prodding at the edges of Shula's mind, but she hadn't quite been able to put her finger on it.

“A gang of outlaws, you say? Surely you of all people are familiar with the roguish activity that goes down here through the evening and early morning hours, no? Have you located the source of the commotion, or are they on the move too much?” Shula's thoughts had stopped dead--if they were in Shu Jing of all places, who was to say they hadn't infiltrated the greater cities of the Fire Nation--or the Capital itself?

So THAT was what had been dancing just out of reach. The realization finally hit; just because a city was large or renowned didn't mean that criminals didn't fester in the underbelly like anywhere else. With her lack of experience in the real world, Shula hadn't even thought of it.

Sure, during her exile, she'd spent two years expanding in all aspects of knowledge that she thought necessary. But she herself had never interacted with people as one of THEM. The dawning of this hit her like a ton of bricks. She needed to get out more, and stop letting people know she was who she was right off the bat.

Shula looked back at Zhin curiously; she was obviously more well-rounded than Shula in this. "Would...you want to tag along? To the meeting?" she asked after a moment. She didn't know how things worked outside of the Capital--h'ell, outside of the Palace. She was so used to having every whim catered to her that she didn't foresee the issue of not being able to relate to anyone else. It wasn't that it made her spoiled, it simply made her blind.

Back to top Go down
Zhin Lyautey
Zhin Lyautey

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: The Challenge of Uncertainty [OPEN]   The Challenge of Uncertainty [OPEN] EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 8:00 am

Zhin Lyautey

Zhin chuckled lightly. “Speaking as one from a similar background, I would have to agree. Even then, however, it takes more than time and money to make a woman beautiful.”
She was referring, of course, to natural beauty, something she had, and something she believed that Shula had as well. One thing a person could always count on Zhin for was to be very honest, and she was often straightforward about it unless it was a touchy subject for either her or the one she was speaking to—for Zhin was a polite woman who did not wish to offend.

She did notice the Firelord’s blush after Zhin’s compliment though, and it reminded her of herself.
“She is a braver woman than I in that regard,” she ruminated, “That is one of the few departments that, for whatever reason, that I have trouble handling. I suppose I am not one to complain if compliments are the ‘worst’ of my problems… still. I need advice on that in one way or another, romantic implications or not.”
Although, romantic implications were completely absent in this conversation. This was entirely friendly. Zhin was respectful as she always was, but she was not trying to gain anything from Firelord Shula nor was it an ulterior motive of any kind. For her, it was simply making a new friend, and so far, Shula seemed to appreciate that.

Zhin could not help but crack a smile. “Some traditions are worth holding onto. Others come and go with their times, although I admit that what you said has interested me. I am curious about such things, but I suppose that’s off-topic. Some say I am easily amused. Others call me curious. Take your pick.”
She gave a cheesy grin. There were few things Zhing enjoyed more than a lighthearted conversation that remained respectful and contained that ever-scarce mutual agreement. This is what seemed to be the case with Zhin’s conversation with Shula, and the more she realized this, the happier it made her.

She noticed that Shula’s mind was suddenly processing thoughts in a similar fashion to how Zhin did so often. She seemed to keep a much quieter demeanor about it, and unlike Zhin, who sometimes mouthed, whispered, or even muttered her thoughts aloud, Shula’s thoughts remained silent.
“Has she remained unaware on purpose, or by accident? Does she know? The way her face changed made this seem like very new information to her, and that just makes me all the more curious. If we are only aware of so much criminal activity between the two of us, who is to say that there is not much more happening that the eyes of the authorities cannot see, let alone catch? I cannot blame Shula for it, nor would I if given the option. She has her plate full surely, and so I have no room to judge.”

She was then presented with a question—not even a request, let alone a demand, but a simple offer from one person to another. Zhin appreciated it, even though she did not say it.
“That she is speaking to me as a friend and not as a superior says a great deal about her personality and humility. I wonder what she has been through, and what she has done. There is much to be admired about this woman, and I do like that. It means much to me.”

“I can do that.” She nodded, “curiosity is also in my blood, and figuring out what makes things and people tick is on my list of interests. It is why I do what I do. Is it tonight or at a later date?”
With the agreement stated, she would wait to see Shula’s reaction and go from there. It was late, but Zhin was fine if they had to go tonight.

Link:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Challenge of Uncertainty [OPEN]   The Challenge of Uncertainty [OPEN] Empty

Back to top Go down

The Challenge of Uncertainty [OPEN]
Page 1 of 1