The Last Airbender: New Chapters RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Airbender: New Chapters RP - take a roleplay voyage through the world of The Last Airbender.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Elegys

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Elegys
Elegys

EXP : 5160

Character Description
Position: Dark Avatar
Nation: Air Temples

Elegys Empty
PostSubject: Elegys   Elegys EmptySat Sep 06, 2014 9:44 pm

Full Name: Elegys
Element: All
Birthplace: Southern Air Temple
Training: Airbending (Master), Hand-to-hand (Expert), Waterbending (Intermediate)

Personality:
In many respects, Elegys is what could be easily referred to as the example for Air Nomad Culture. He has rigorously followed the teachings and guidelines set out by the first Airbenders since his birth at the Southern Air Temple, and is considered to be a very spiritual being. He is generally thought to be a mellow person, slow to move himself to action without due consideration about where his course will lead him, but when angered he has been known to fly into an unparalleled fury.

He never had a great deal of friends growing up. Whilst he was raised with other Air Nomads, he found his mind-set to be apart from their own. Whilst he wanted to follow in the footsteps of the ancient Masters, his fellow students were almost always consumed with thoughts of war – even if they did not show it on the surface, it always seemed to lurk within.

Whilst Elegys disagrees with the notion of war, he believes that every action happens for a reason, whether or not it is a violent one. As such, he does not hesitate when confronted with a solution in which he can see no non-violent outcomes, and instead chooses to pre-empt any such attacks by striking first.

Elegys has a dislike for anything that isn’t in order – whether it be a deck of cards of the government of a nation, Elegys wants everything to be balanced.

Since travelling to the spirit world and meeting the spirit known as Galaad, he has become a devout believer in his supposed destiny. He will give anything up to complete his goals, and will not hesitate to sacrifice his own morals in order to succeed in his quest.

After months of careful planning, Elegys succeeded in merging with Vaatu, although it resulted in the death of the spirit Galaad. At times his personality is spiked with Vaatu’s chaotic nature, but Elegys is trying his best to control the unruly spirit.

Abilities:
Elegys was considered to be an expert Airbender from an early age. By the age of fifteen he had mastered twenty-two of the thirty-six Airbending disciplines, and was thought to be well on his way to earning his tattoos. However at the age of eighteen, having completed twenty-nine of the disciplines, his progression seemed to halt. He became more involved with the spiritual side of bending, and believes that he can contact certain spirits within the Spirit World.

Since his training is incomplete, Elegys is not considered a Master Air-bender. He is, however, powerful when roused and delicate with application of his powers. He could knock down a wall as easily as he might float a feather, as his advanced years have taught him a finer control over his powers than the younger Nomads at his skill level. His bending is also slightly more aggressive than the average Airbender, as he combines it with his martial arts manoeuvres to gain the upper hand in conflict.

Elegys is also fairly competent at fighting with his hands. Whilst training at the Temple, he partook in several martial arts practice sessions as a way to keep his body in shape, and as such picked up several hints and tricks on how to defeat his opponents without weapons. His body is also at the peak of his physical condition as a combination of his strict diet and rigorous training regime.

After training with the spirit known as Galaad, Elegys practised and mastered the remaining of the thirty-six forms of Airbending, rendering him a master Airbender. Whilst he would technically be allowed to receive his tattoos, he hasn’t due to no longer following the teachings of the nomads.

Whilst practising for his mastery, Elegys discovered and developed a new technique which he has dubbed ‘Thunder’-bending. Using his airbending, he causes a vast and rapid expansion of air which results in a peal similar to the sound produced when lightning occurs. He can use it to render his opponents deaf for a limited time or break glass or other similar objects.

Elegys trained with the Water Chieftain Nelekar before absorbing Vaatu to become the Dark Avatar; as such, he had an understanding of several Waterbending techniques as soon as he merged with the spirit.

Appearance:
Height: 6’2”
Weight: 90Kg
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Bald
Skin: Pale

Elegys, like all traditional Air Nomads, sports a bald head which he shaves regularly. He wears the traditional Air Nomad robes of red and yellow, but around his wrists he ties a strip of cloth in order to prevent injury. It does so by aligning the joints and lending strength to the soft tissue of the hand and wrist.

Unlike some of the other Nomads, he has quite a heavy build, testament to his physical prowess. He bears a small scar upon the left of his abs, the result of a childhood prank that had gone wrong; in their wisdom, the other children had decided to heat up Elegys’ bowl to scorching temperatures, so he wouldn’t be able to eat and may even burn his hands. Elegys knew of the plot however, and applied an airbending technique to cool the bowl. This had resulted in the ceramic exploding and a piece embedding itself into his stomach. This was one of the first events that pushed Elegys away from his fellow trainees.

Around his neck he wears a shell looped through a single piece of string. Although Air Nomads have no material possessions, Elegys kept this one thing. It was given to him by Avatar Aang a few months after he was born, and the Nomads that raised him kept it. Elegys fashioned it into a necklace and carries it with him everywhere as an example of a true Air Nomad, a figure to aspire to.

When in the Avatar State, Elegys’ eyes glow a deep orange.

History:

Elegys was born at the Southern Air Temple to two Air Nomad parents. As a child born out of wedlock, he was raised by the monks at the Southern Temple and, to this day, does not know whether or not his parents are alive. They have never made any attempt to contact him, nor has he tried to contact them – for Air Nomads, parents aren’t important. When he was only a few months old, Avatar Aang paid a visit to his temple, and took a liking to Elegys. He gave him a shell that he wears at all times around his neck.

He began his Airbending tutelage at a young age along with the other children, but he was always something of an ugly duckling within the group. He preferred time to himself to meditate rather than stay with the other kids as they played games or went on adventures. He played Pai Sho with several of his masters when they realised he was being left out, but never really got the hang of it and gave it up quickly. As such, his alone time became more frequent, but so too did his connection with the spirits.

Several times in his youth, Elegys spoke to what he believed to be spirits. They were never malicious or even benevolent – they were merely curious of him and his intentions. He has never managed to physically enter the spirit realm, but it is his hope that one day he will be able to enter.

Elegys progressed quickly through the styles of Airbending, impressing not only his teachers but the other pupils too. Several of them came to him for private lessons, which he was more than willing to accommodate for – after all, he believed that the other kids were too far from the path of a true Air Nomad, and it was his duty to correct them in any way he could. With the result of his help, the entire class passed smoothly through the first twenty styles without a hitch.

After that, students began to lag behind as Elegys continued. Even with private lessons, there was nothing he could do for them. They became angry and resentful towards him, even going so far as to attempt to disrupt his mastery exams for several of the forms. He managed to continue even with their unhelpfulness however, and quickly became the frontrunner of his class.

And then, another spirit spoke to him. It told him of his true quest in life, the true meaning of his existence – obtaining his Airbender tattoos were secondary to his real mission, which was to right the wrongs of the world and bring back balance, a job that would have once fallen to the Avatar. The spirit refused to elaborate further, and Elegys sunk into a spiral of meditation and isolation.

Years passed, and all the members of Elegys’ class surpassed him and continued on to gain their tattoos. He sat in at each ceremony as custom dictated, but his mind was always elsewhere. What was his true cause, and how was he going to achieve it? The other nomads began to give him strange looks whenever they met in the dining hall, one of the few times that Elegys ever left his study. As a result of his age, he had been given the chambers of a fully trained Air Nomad, instead of having to share with the other children. This caused him to meditate even more, and he sometimes passed into a transitive state and didn’t eat for days on end.

The strange looks turned into pity as Elegys turned thirty years of age. Almost everybody his age was now a Master, and those that weren’t would almost certainly never achieve the honour. They were too weak, or lacked some inherent ability to become a Master. But the other Nomads knew that Elegys was different, that he could have become a Master with ease if he so wished.

One morning, however, Elegys awoke from one of his meditations with a new outlook. He knew now what he had to do, and it couldn’t be done within the confines of the Temple. He would have to travel the world, both in an attempt to fulfil his cause and to seek entrance into the Spirit World which he had searched for existence of for so many years.

After visiting the Avatar, the monk managed to enter the Spirit World and there discovered the spirit that had contacted him, a spirit known as Galaad. Together, Galaad and Elegys developed a plan to restore balance to both worlds, and realised that they would need the help of Vaatu in order to be powerful enough to follow through with their plans.

The Air Nomad then moved to gather allies – from across the globe he collected different people from different backgrounds, bringing them together into one mighty fighting force to combat the Avatar. Then, with an alliance with the Southern Water Tribe Chief, he orchestrated an attack on the Fire Lord and Earth Queen. This, however, was only a distraction – he entered the Spirit World while the pair were occupied and merged with Vaatu, becoming the new Dark Avatar.

**OPTIONAL**
Sample RP:*Optional only for members who have done a sample RP with an expert-tier character before* (420 words minimum, must be from character's point of view--3rd person and 1st person acceptable)

Character Box (Required):

Elegys

“Experience is said to bring great understanding to life – years bring wisdom, practice brings perfection. I myself have never found experience to bring anything to life that ability cannot. I have searched the archives more than many of the great Nomads, but does my experience bring me a greater understanding than them? You yourselves have condemned students to lives of mediocrity, accepted that they will never achieve mastery. Perhaps experience, then, is simply a means to reach your potential. And that is why I must leave the temple.”

Elegys sat cross legged on the floor in front of three of the older monks in the temple – without any kind of council to give guidance, the oldest and wisest of each temple had taken over the duties. The three nomads looked at each other, but did not utter a word.

“I believe I have reached my potential in this place. Perhaps, out there, I can increase it. Perhaps I can fulfil my ambitions with the help of others out there. One thing I know for certain is that there is nothing more I can learn of myself within these walls.”

The centre monk leaned forwards and looked inquisitively at Elegys.

“But you haven’t even achieved your arrows yet, young one. There is much more we can teach you, much more that you can learn of our teachings. If you simply took up your studies once more, we know that you will be able to achieve your mastery within a few short years. Is that not what you want, Elegys?”

The younger man let out a deep breath, attempting to calm himself. It worked to a certain extent, but his deep voice was tinged with annoyance now.

“Your existence serves to stifle creativity and true understanding. You teach of acceptance and yet you segregate even within your own walls. Mastery of an element is useless to me now – I have a higher purpose. While you sit here learning nothing and teaching it to children, I shall be roaming the world in search of true insight. As Avatar Aang acted, and those that came before him, so must I.”

As he said this he ran his finger over the shell that hung from his necklace. His first duty was to find the spirits, but after that he wasn’t sure how to proceed.

“Why have you come to us then, Elegys?” the left monk said, looking confused at the younger man. “Air Nomads are free to come and go between the temples as they please – you don’t need our permission.”

Elegys chuckled softly to himself, shaking his head.

“It isn’t your permission I seek, master. It’s your library. I wish to access the Master’s library to start my search for the Spirit World, to follow in the footsteps of those before me.”

Mood: Reflective
Condition: Ordinary
Link:

Last edited by Elegys on Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Meili
Superb Member
Meili

EXP : 43135
Birthday : 1991-01-16

Character Description
Position: Earth Queen
Nation: Earth Kingdom

Elegys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elegys   Elegys EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 2:42 pm

as long as the artifact given to him by Aang doesn't give him some sort of magical powers or celebrity status or anything, I think it's okay. That was the only 'beef' I had with this.
Otherwise, looks good. have fun.
APPROVED!

Elegys Soa
Back to top Go down
Elegys
Elegys

Character Description

Elegys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elegys   Elegys EmptyFri Sep 26, 2014 6:05 pm

Made a few edits, seeking re-approval!
Back to top Go down
Tarek
Superb Member
Tarek

EXP : 11135
Birthday : 1992-06-29

Character Description
Position: Fire Lord
Nation: Fire Nation

Elegys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elegys   Elegys EmptyThu Oct 02, 2014 8:39 am

Been a busy week, only saw this now El.

But Re-approved, have fun.
Back to top Go down
Elegys
Elegys

Character Description

Elegys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elegys   Elegys EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 6:34 am

Made some edits to reflect his new Dark Avatar status.
Back to top Go down
Tarek
Superb Member
Tarek

EXP : 11135
Birthday : 1992-06-29

Character Description
Position: Fire Lord
Nation: Fire Nation

Elegys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elegys   Elegys EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 9:01 am

THRICE APPROVED Good work on all you've done with this character El, the very definition of character progression right here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Elegys Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elegys   Elegys Empty

Back to top Go down

Elegys
Page 1 of 1