The Last Airbender: New Chapters RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Airbender: New Chapters RP - take a roleplay voyage through the world of The Last Airbender.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra]

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Korra
Korra

EXP : 5270
Birthday : 1991-01-16

Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra] Empty
PostSubject: Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra]   Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra] EmptySat Dec 06, 2014 3:39 am

Korra Tonraizi

It was often difficult to explain to people why Korra Tonraizi wanted to be left alone. Hers was a difficult life to live considering the horrifying trauma that she had dealt with in her childhood. She was dismissed as unstable and erratic by her peers, and was either feared or excluded (or often both) by those around her. only her surrogate family really understood her, and even they weren't always perfect (although in their defense, no one was).

But how easy *was* it to understand a girl who jumped at the sight of people in masks, or fidgeted when in large groups, or that cowered with her hands over her ears when there was too much noise? How easy was it to understand a girl who had been tortured and manipulated to the point where she unwillingly now had blood on her hands? It was hardly any wonder why she tried to never speak of her past. A psychopath and a murderer at 18... that was something no kid should have ever had to deal with. Perhaps what frustrated Korra about it the most was that it wasn't her. She had been an unwilling victim; a resistant target. She tried everything to disconnect from all of that.

perhaps what she needed was a job. And so, donning something a little on the fancier side, she went on the search. Her journeys took her to a certain lodge, where, with certain confidence, she approached a man that she figured was either an owner or a manager of sorts. Korra Tonraizi might have had her reservations with people, and might have had things that triggered her trauma, but she was not a complete wreck--not yet anyways.
Either way, she approached the man and popped the question, cutting right to the chase.
"excuse me," she asked, her voice low but polite, "do you know of any places around here that might be hiring kids my age?" Introverts were not always shy, and technically what Korra had was not even introversion anyways. But, her question had been asked, and in a few seconds, she would either hear a yes or a no (or some variant of such).
Mood: Upset
Condition: Stressed
Link: Korra

Back to top Go down
Tatsuya
Tatsuya

EXP : 560
Birthday : 1993-01-25

Character Description
Position: Glorified Bartender
Nation: Fire Nation

PostSubject: Re: Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra]   Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra] EmptySat Dec 06, 2014 8:25 am

Akatsuki, Tatsuya

Pensively stroking his lush, full beard, the man would inspectingly peer at the young woman before him. Hmm... I'm not really sure if I should be doing this, but hey, I'll tell you what: Take the second door to your left, you'll find our bar; around there should be a man, about *yay* tall with black hair and a black beard... well, you'll know him when you see him. He might just be able to help out with employment - said the friendly receptionist, with a sly but gentle grin from ear to ear, as he motioned the path Korra should take with his hands.

Being a smallish lodge, the bar had a pub-like but cosy nature. Upon reaching, she would find no more than ten tables inside, some occupied of which were vacant, a few occupied by businessmen, and others still filled by your average joe.

The only person that fit the receptionist's description stood behind the counter, cleaning a glass mug and speaking to a drunkard - well... talking at one, anyway - whose head was "resting", mushed against the counter's wooden surface. Noticing the new arrival, the man would set the cup aside, resting the towel he used to clean it on his right shoulder, and moved, still behind the bar, closer to the door.

What's your poison, miss? He spoke, in the informal but polite manner one would hope from your average, friendly bartender.
Noticing what appeared to be the girl's nervousness, the man would swiftly continue with his speech, in an attempt to lighten the mood: Of course, by poison, I mean juice. You don't really look old enough to drink... Does she, Eddie? - he said, momentarily turning his head to face the drunkard who merely groaned in return - Don't actually know his name... Doesn't look like he minds, though. - he whispered to the girl, motioning towards the very same drunk who was appeared to had fallen fast asleep in a matter of seconds, with a smile not unlike the receptionist's. No doubt, those two had been enjoying poking fun at this "Eddie" character, for a while... perhaps even literally.

Having finished his small rant, in which had clearly succeeded in entertaining himself, at the very least, Tatsuya would finally grant the young woman enough time to actually speak: Anyway, what can I do you for?

Mood: Amused
Condition: Relaxed

Last edited by Tatsuya on Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Korra
Korra

PostSubject: Re: Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra]   Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra] EmptySat Dec 06, 2014 12:34 pm

Korra Tonraizi

Korra nodded at the receptionist and followed his instructions, mentally noting the description of the man she was told about. Hey, sometimes her vivid memory was not a bad thing... but it sucked to be able to remember so many things from her past in such horrific detail.

His first words actually gave the young waterbender pause, and her expression changed to one that could only really be described as surprised with a mixture of discomfort. Poison... she had literally ingested stuff like that... or she was pretty sure it had been poisonous on some level or another given that usually afterwards she was sick for a day or two. She'd rather not go into detail on some of the other things that happened with it though. Suffice to say, what Korra knew now was that her body was actually very resilient to that sort of thing.

"you can hit me with a strong drink if you want," she shrugged, twirling a few coins between her fingers in a rather pleasing sense of dexterity. The girl had nimble hands. "It might get my mind off things." her eyes suddenly looked back at a list of different choices that was on one of the back walls behind this man. She did crack a small chuckle at the referencing to "Eddie" the drunk man. Korra wondered what being actually drunk felt like. The most she had ever experienced had just been a light tipsiness, which was not for a lack of trying either. But, that was another issue altogether.

"Anyways," she continued, "I was wondering if you knew of anywhere around here where I could seek employment? I guess I just have too much time on my hands is all..."
"Oh," she added suddenly, extending her hand. "I'm Korra, by the way." she figured she might as well introduce herself. Her hands were on the larger side, but hers were smooth, healer-waterbender hands for certain.
Mood: Upset
Condition: Stressed

Back to top Go down
Tatsuya
Tatsuya

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra]   Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra] EmptySat Dec 06, 2014 2:40 pm

Akatsuki, Tatsuya

Intrigued by the young woman's response, Tatsuya would proceed to motion the waterbender to take a seat at the counter, just before drawing a pair of glasses and setting them on the wooden surface.

It is very nice to meet you, Korra. - he said, in a truthful manner. Work, was it? Hmm... Interesting choice of venue to be asking that question, I'll give you that much. Not really sure how much assistance I can provide but, if you'll allow me to, I'm certainly willing to find out.

The man's elbows and forearms now rested on the counter as his hands met and his fingers interlaced. Leaning over towards the vicinity of the chair Korra had sat/was to sit on, as a way to keep the conversation slightly less formal, the man proceeded with his speech.

Tell me, what interests you? What sort of "work" speaks to you as an individual, and why do you think you'd be any good at it and why it'd be good for you? Tell me a story, or... better yet: Tell me your story.
There it was. The bait had been cast. Tatsuya didn't mean anything bad by it, of course. He was simply interested in why a young woman, who was twenty at best, had come knocking on this particular door to seek employment. There were certainly more glamorous locations in the Capital... Tatsuya owned one, himself.

This Korra's clear overdressed appearance which contrasted not only with the place's familial setting, but with the girl's tense condition as well. This certainly captivated the man's interest. Now, purely for the sake of curiosity, it was his wish to discover a general sense of what kind of person she was, as well as how the gears in the young girl's mind worked.

And who knows? If the story's interesting enough, you might just get a drink, on the house - the firebender spoke, retaining his general, happy tone as he filled the glasses with a mildly potent beverage, as per the lady's own request.

Mood: Intrigued
Condition: Relaxed

Back to top Go down
Korra
Korra

PostSubject: Re: Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra]   Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra] EmptySat Dec 06, 2014 7:24 pm

Korra Tonraizi

Korra was seated when instructed to, and for the time being, just went with the flow of things. She wasn't dressed as if she was going to meet the Earth Queen or anything, but she did have a bit of formal flair in her choice of attire. She seated herself, crossing her legs at the ankle beneath the table simply t relax. She wasn't terribly tense or anything; it was hard to tell what she was feeling at this point.

"I like drawing things, building things, fixing things... that kind of thing." she shrugged, "but really, I could probably do just about anything." in truth, she had come here because this place had looked like it would be run by someone who knew the surrounding area. So really, she had been more wondering if he had heard any news about any place that might have been hiring. But... if he himself was potentially going to hire her, then perhaps she could save herself the trouble and get a job here and now. Even 18-year-old waterbenders agreed that searching for employment really kinda sucked.

She did give slight pause as she was asked to tell her story. No. She was not going to do that. Not most of it anyways.
"I grew up in Gaoling with my mother Aveline," she began, "she was an ex-soldier in the Earth Kingdom Army and in my childhood she worked as the captain of a law enforcement branch down there. She taught me a lot of those things as well, and we keep in touch."

Here was where the omission would start.
"Over the course of the next few years, I took an interest in mechanics, and put in a little time with a few military units where I helped fix up or tune up machines. It wasn't a whole lot, since I was only 16 at the time, but it was work. I also remembered my roots; learned waterbending, healing, that sort of thing... and picked up..." she paused, glancing at her fingers and curling them a moment. "...an odd resistance to alcohol and other things. I beat an alcoholic at a drinking game once, even." she let out a chuckle. If he was particularly observant, he might have been able to notice something different about her eyes--from a physical standpoint, they were perfectly normal... just another pair of light blue Water Tribe eyes. from an emotional standpoint though, there was a hint of suffering--great suffering, to put it lightly.

but otherwise, that was Korra's story, summed up in a couple minutes.
Mood: Unclear
Condition: Unclear

Back to top Go down
Tatsuya
Tatsuya

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra]   Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra] EmptySat Dec 06, 2014 8:22 pm

Akatsuki, Tatsuya

An artist and a healer? I'm not sure I can bring myself to accept that you've got so many skills at such a young age... You're making me look bad, kid. - the man would state between chuckles - a comment devoid of all pretension, clearly made to be funny as well as politely compliment the young woman and her claims.

The young woman had the same look on her face that he'd seen countless times. The reason why people go to bars in the first place. He had no way of knowing that Korra's cross far outweighed your average joe's, but was not about to pry regardless. Everyone has troubles, and are free to keep or share them at will. All that he was interested in was a good story.

Tatsuya would then grip one of the tonic-filled glasses and proceed to move it towards the girl, while saying: If what you say is true, then this probably won't do much for you, and you really need to work on your storytelling... that was a four, at best. But, you have earned your drink. On the house, as promised. Also, you should show me some of your work as a painter, I might know some people who would be interested in that sort of stuff.
Stopping the glass half-way through its journey towards Korra, the man would add: ... Unless you're one of those who just paints naked men all the time. I don't need to see one of those again... You're not, are you? ... Are you? Because I'll know if you're lying... - Korra didn't look the least bit like that, to the firebender. Really, he simply decided to toss a completely random and disarming comment, to see how she'd respond. In spite of its overly "gaging" nature, the snarky remark was, really, just a bored Tatsuya who had stumbled upon what at least seemed like a fairly innocent girl - who had no doubt gone through puberty not too long ago - and figured he'd push her buttons for a bit.

Mood: Entertained
Condition: Serene

Back to top Go down
Korra
Korra

PostSubject: Re: Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra]   Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra] EmptySat Dec 06, 2014 9:07 pm

Korra Tonraizi

"I might not be the best at either of them, but I'm decent enough." Korra admitted, "there's a story behind... well, both of those things. It's not necessarily pretty though." Why was it that nearly every cool ability she had, had such a morbid story behind its origins?
"but I suppose I didn't come here to talk about unpleasantries, you know?" she shrugged, "and uh... yeah. I suck at charisma."

She took the drink with a polite nod as if to say thanks and took a shot of it with no real reaction. it tasted strong, but Korra handled it about as easily as she said she would. When he mentioned drawing naked men, her face did redden a little.
"N-no!" she exclaimed. She might have been in an erratic mood, but that didn't mean that she lacked a sense of humor. "although... that begs the question--if I told you I drew naked ladies, how would that be?" She didn't really (well, okay, she did draw some naked people sometimes, as model reference), but she wondered if this opinion was about naked people entirely, or just about the less fair sex.

"here... lemme show you..." she reached into her bag and pulled out a pencil and paper. She usually carried a few supplies around with her because she never knew when she'd need to take her mind off of other things. She began sketching, and the image began to take shape, with drastic shading, harsh, jagged lines, and a surprising amount of attention to detail.
it depicted a young woman, her arms raised, and chains attached to her wrists and neck. Behind her, taking up much of the background, was a rather ominous and sinister-looking fellow, who of course, had the chains around his fingers, as if manipulating the girl like a puppet. all in all, despite the oddness of the piece, it was a very detailed work. Korra didn't hold anything back.
After she finished, she simply shrugged and looked back at Tatsuya, waiting for a response.
Mood: Erratic
Condition: Fine

Back to top Go down
Tatsuya
Tatsuya

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra]   Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra] EmptySat Dec 06, 2014 9:53 pm

Akatsuki, Tatsuya

And this is a pub, kid: Therapy comes free with the purchase of a pint every hour. Although, to be honest, the alcohol does most, if not all of the work...

I was five when I first firebent... I practically burnt my house down and nearly killed my baby sister. Eddie over there, was just talking about a time when he punched a military officer in a drunken haze. Shattered the man's jaw so badly he had to eat with a straw for months and still occasionally slurs... Very nice guy, he shows up every now and then, mostly to pick that slob, over there. Anyway, as I was saying, nowadays Eddie there works for the very same military man whose life he endangered and I can't even begin to picture life without my bending... I even use it to warm up the sheets before I go to bed at night... - in spite of having some truth to it, the majority of the story had been made up on the fly. After all, he didn't even know the man's name so how could he possibly have known his workplace and commanding officer... if he even was in the army.
Tatsuya just kind of expected the, shall we say, exaggerations to simply be lost in the whole of the information he was attempting to transmit. As such, the speech continued:
What I'm trying to say here is that it doesn't really matter where things come from. Only what you do with them.

A quick sigh followed the man's next thought: "I'm starting to give advice like an old man". After quick swig of whatever it was that he'd poured into his cup to quench his growing thirst, Tatsuya figured he'd gotten this far, so he might as well see things through:

And I'll have you know that you painting such an intricate design this quickly would've blown my mind had you not led into it by saying you "sucked" at charisma...

Hell, I'd even prove your worth to you by having a "drink-off", if I didn't actually think there was a chance that I'd end up with a twelve year-old drinking me under the table... I don't think my masculinity could handle that kind of blow. We men are fragile like that.
- the man would say, unable to contain his laughter towards the end.

But you need to stand up for yourself, Korra. If for nothing else than the fact that, if you don't, nobody else will. And feel free to join me or not, but I will be drinking to that.

Raising his glass at the young woman before him, the man would down the rest of his drink and, after triumphantly setting his glass on the wooden counter, choose something else to sate his thirst.

Mood: Enlightened
Condition: Therapist-y

Back to top Go down
Korra
Korra

PostSubject: Re: Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra]   Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra] EmptySun Dec 07, 2014 1:35 am

Korra Tonraizi

"Bullshit." Korra laughed. "I'm not as stupid as I look, you know." She was not exactly gullible given the trust issues she had had in her childhood, although it seemed that Korra had just about missed the man's point.
"I... oh." she blushed a bit, and then thought about his words.

She felt like she was doing a good job at making the best of her unusual arsenal of abilities though, despite where many of them had come from. his words were rather deep and profound.
"Oh? why's that?" was it simply her admission at not being good at everything, or was there another reason as to why he suddenly accepted her being a good artist simply because she lacked charisma? in fine, she was a little confused, but he was being confusing.

"I'm 18, thank you very much!" she didn't care that much about her age, but she was certainly not 12. "I..." but once again, his profound words had the teen stuck in silence.
"I'll drink to that..." she drained her glass rather skillfully. "top me off again, why don'tcha?" if he decided to make her pay for it all at the end, so be it. She had money.
"So, uh... do you know of any kind of job that might be good for a kid like me?" she tilted her head. she'd eventually give him the scoop on some of her post-trauma. It helped to be able to know why the girl sometimes behaved erratically. She was not very often terribly hostile, but sometimes she overreacted a bit vehemently to some things--although usually the biggest (and only) victim was herself in that regard. that would be explained in time though.
Mood: Confused

Back to top Go down
Tatsuya
Tatsuya

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra]   Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra] EmptySun Dec 07, 2014 7:37 am

Akatsuki, Tatsuya

Unbeknownst to the man, Korra had misunderstood him. What he meant was that, in deliberately lowering her own standpoint by saying she "sucked" (albeit at this or that and not in general), she ultimately diminished the value in her work, the painting.
The idea one has of the creator holds direct influence over the product, after all. One of Picasso's scribbles will be deemed a work of art, even if it isn't quote/unquote "good", and vice versa.

Tatsuya raised an eyebrow and prepared to inquire on the "Why is that?" ordeal when, suddenly found his attention focused on one of her following statements instead, completely forgetting about the previous question. The statement revolved around getting more free drinks. After sketching a grin and quick chuckle, the man's still raised eyebrow went from a look of confusion to one of poorly feigned outrage:
For someone who "sucks at charisma", you were awfully smooth in bumming this poor bartender for another free drink, just now... I must say, you are a sly one, kid. Here. But it's the last freebie you'll get. Free drinks come out of my pay, after all. - he said, reluctant but happy, as he gripped her glass and topped it off.

In regards to work... Well, I overheard the bossman say he could use something to dazzle more high-class customers. Apparently, the guy who owns this chain is taking it to other countries and could use a little ego-rubbing action to get his way with investors. Those paintings of yours might just do the trick, although, you'll probably only be painting self-portraits and such. Not sure how the pay will work, but you will get to travel... interested? - everything Tatsuya had said was true. He had overheard the lodge's manager asking around for that particular thing, the other night, and everything else was a sequence of actual facts. The only piece of information he chose to let out was that he, himself, is the very owner he's referring to.

Mood: Entertained
Condition: Calm

Back to top Go down
Korra
Korra

PostSubject: Re: Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra]   Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra] EmptySun Dec 07, 2014 4:30 pm

Korra Tonraizi

Korra was far from perfect, and so chances were that she would make mistakes or misinterpret things just as much as anyone else might. She was still just a girl, after all, despite that she had seen and experienced horrors that no child or adult should ever have to face. It was one of those times where her mental age outstripped her physical age, which sometimes made things awkward.

When he mentioned drinks though, Korra laughed. "oh come now... that was just me using my feminine charms or something, wasn't it?" she batted her eyelashes rather cutely at him. Obviously she was not trying to woo the man or anything, but if he could joke, so could she. She wasn't always so doom-and-gloom-y.
"Hey..." she nodded as she took the drink and sipped it again, "I said I could pay ya if you wanted..." she used her free hand to jingle a bag of coins near her hip.

"well... who *is* this boss man?" Korra tilted her head. "sure, I can paint you some pretty pictures. Name your subject--I can probably do it." she could draw people very well, but there were more things that just that that she could draw. Besides, she usually sketched her ideas out first, and then envisioned them in color before actually painting them. It was much easier to correct pencil marks than paint.
"cuz, uh... yeah. I could do that, I suppose."
Mood: Calm

Back to top Go down
Tatsuya
Tatsuya

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra]   Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra] EmptySun Dec 07, 2014 10:34 pm

Akatsuki, Tatsuya

In seeing Korra's cutesy performance, Tatsuya would be unable to keep his composure and would release a couple of hearty laughs: Now that... was just priceless. Thank you, really.

And don't you worry, you will be paying... anything you drink after this one, little miss. I gave you my word, and I intend to keep it, regardless of how much you bat those puppy-dog eyes of yours... isn't that right, Eddie? - said the man, finding that the drunkard had made his way off of the counter and onto the ground whilst remaining fast asleep.

Not long after his remark, something inside Tatsuya's head clicked: That's it! You could paint him! the firebender exclaimed, pointing towards the same fallen drunkard he had glanced over moments before.

The bossman is the manager. He's usually at the reception and is probably the one who sent you my way... and although I'm not particularly sure why he did what he did, I did get a fairly decent story out of it, so all is well that ends well, I guess... But, more importantly, you still haven't told me if you'd be interested in it. Although, I guess you really should be telling him, not me... hmm... yeah. Get me Ed's painting, and I'll vouch for your skills if and when you go see him again, promise.

With a quick wink and a raise of the glass that seemed to say "I'm looking forward to your work", the man would move away from Korra, proceeding to tend to other patrons, who had begun to make their way towards the counter, leaving the young woman to make her choice and painting in peace.

Mood: Practically Giddy

Back to top Go down
Korra
Korra

PostSubject: Re: Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra]   Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra] EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 5:16 am

Korra Tonraizi

Korra chuckled. "what can I say?" she quipped, "I'm a giver." she wished that she was, anyways. But, while she was not exactly the most emotionally sound woman in the world, Kotta Tonraizi was still very smart--even if intelligence did not make her immune to the post-traumatic stress that the poor girl still suffered from.

"aww..." Korra pouted for dramatic effect, "fine. I'm a woman of my word as well." One thing that Korra didn't exactly realize that she kind of just *did* though, was that she usually handled herself very maturely. When he mentioned "Eddie" the drunkard though, Korra was admittedly a bit skeptical.
"you want me to draw -him-? He's just drunk and useless though..."

"Fine... I'll do it." she lied, slapping some coins on the table. "I need a strong drink though." alcohol didn't really affect Korra's painting ability for better or for worse; she just liked having something strong that would loosen her up a little. Really, the woman's body was something of a miracle in and of itself, given what it had been through, but that was not a story she was willing to tell right now.

Assuming she got her drink (the coins had been for payment if she did), she would drain the glass and get to work sketching, with harsh, long pencil lines gracing the paper as she prepared to get going. however, as her picture developed, it turned out to not be something depicting Eddie the drunk man, but rather action-y image of Sanaki Calamedia Zelgius--often known as Firelady Zelgius Sanaki.

She appeared to be lunging forward, her twin blades in each hand, behind her back as if she had just cut dwon two assailants on either side of her. Korra was keen on the details, adding the effects of her jet-black hair flying behind her, the ornate pin that she held her topknot in with; the flowing dark reds and golds of her robes, and even the parts of her right leg and thigh that were exposed through a long slit in the side of the garment. The flames were dark red and azure in color, giving the image a rather dynamic appearance. After about 15-25 minutes of work though, Korra had finished. She was skilled and efficient. art was one of those few things that she was dangerously talented at. Once she finished, she simply called Tatsuya over and shrugged.
"Here's what I've got," she indicated the painted image in front of them.
Mood: Interested

Back to top Go down
Tatsuya
Tatsuya

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra]   Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra] EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 10:53 am

Akatsuki, Tatsuya

Intrigued by the woman's request for a drink, but otherwise occupied with other clients, Tatsuya would fashion Korra her third cocktail and take some coins from the bag she'd left on the table, that amounted to the value of her drink without directing a word at her. He would finish his duties fairly quickly, and would then proceed to take a seat at a nearby corner to rest for a moment and enjoy the atmosphere of the bar. All human life was there: from the feeble old dear chatting about the good old days to his left, to the screaming child and the desperate parents to his right, to the groups of young, single people interested in mingling amongst each other, scattered about the room. The fire bender found the sight fairly intriguing. A microcosm under his very own roof.

Swiftly enough, Korra would be done with her work.
But alas, when the previously excited and amused woman nonchalantly handed over her work with a shrug, the man's smile quickly faded. Something was off, and he was willing to put money on the fact that he wouldn't be enjoying whatever the water bender had painted just then.
Gripping the paper dangling in front of him while seriously hoping to be mistaken, Tatsuya would soon find that his first instinct had been correct. Closing his eyes for a moment, whilst releasing a slow, drawn-out sigh, the man proceeded to flip the picture towards the young woman and inquire, in matter-of-fact fashion. Although he wasn't particularly irritated, there was a clear difference between how he spoke now and his previous tone:

What's this supposed to be? I mean, it's cute and all that, but why didn't you draw what I asked?

Yet again, a matter had caused the fire bender to forget his previous train of thought. He had hundreds of questions he'd wanted to ask, like why Korra, who claimed to not be able to get drunk, had requested for a drink, or whether his first instinct on the request was correct, i.e. the fact that her requesting a drink to paint the fallen man was no more than a snide comment directed at the drunkard, something that had most definitely rubbed the glorified bartender the wrong way.
To judge a man's situation was perfectly okay, but to assume a man to be lesser or weak purely from a single setting was most definitely crossing a line that should never be crossed.

In the following moments before she responded, this last thought, that had temporarily been overshadowed by the lingering sense of disappointment and confusion quickly resurfaced as it did appear to contribute towards his previous conclusion: The supposed mockery and the fact that the woman had apparently refused to draw the sleeping man fit perfectly, and the conclusion to be drawn from it was not, in the least bit, acceptable to Tatsuya. However, Tatsuya put in great efforts to not fall into the trap that is hypocrisy. As such, not wanting to do the very thing he suspected Korra was doing to the drunkard and judge her before knowing all the facts, the man would refrain from voicing his suspicions until the young waterbender had answered the questions that had already been posed.

Mood: Mildly Disappointed

Back to top Go down
Korra
Korra

PostSubject: Re: Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra]   Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra] EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 7:08 pm

Korra Tonraizi

Korra was not exactly a woman with very high self-esteem, and so, perhaps almost a bit defensively, she took her painting back, about ready to just tear it up and get rid of it. Clearly she wasn't cut out for this artistry thing if he hated her work that badly.
"At this point... it's not supposed to be anything more than paint on canvas." she rolled it up, slowly and cautiously, deciding that it could be a nice little present for Tarek (and for Sanaki, the subject herself, although she was blind and unable to see it anyways, unfortunately). No point in wasting good work just because someone was clearly disgusted by it. "probably destined for my fireplace this evening, or maybe I can salvage it to give to a friend." Granted, she didn't actually have any friends, but there was no real point in bringing that up."

His other question was a little different though. "because..." she answered, "it feels... intrusive... it's different if it's not a real person... or if it's someone leading a public life anyways... but to randomly draw someone who is totally unaware of what's going on around him... that doesn't sit well with me."
Perhaps it was also because she had been intoxicated like that before and then had far more than just her privacy invaded... and then she had done it to others in return. She wanted to stay as far away from that life--and anything even closely or partially resembling that life--as she could.

"'sides." she added. "when you get hit by a good wave of inspiration, it's kind of hard to turn it down and try to force yourself to churn something else out while that invasive creativity is occupying a majority of your mind." Painting was not her only talent by any means, but clearly it was not about to impress this fellow.
Mood: Slightly Hurt

Back to top Go down
Tatsuya
Tatsuya

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra]   Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra] EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 7:59 pm

Akatsuki, Tatsuya

Tatsuya's gaze swiftly softened upon listening to Korra's speech. He had been completely wrong about everything, and gave thanks for that very fact. As it turned out, what he had perceived as an underlying sense of superiority was, in fact, a rather endearing sense of honesty and compassion. The way she acted emanated this air of an almost child-like innocence which, frankly, left the fire bender with a very strong will to just pinch her cheeks until they reddened.

The latter part of her speech displayed just that: In a very teenage-like manner, she unable to properly grip her impulses yet and would, at times, be driven by them. The man had involuntarily treated him as an adult when the girl was much too young to be one. Though she did do a pretty good job of fooling him, for a moment, he'd finally opened his eyes. Korra wasn't a "grown-up" just yet... not completely, anyway. But there was a definite, lingering sense that the day when this teen becomes a woman might just be an amazing occurrence... And that, was an investment that a story-lover such as Akatsuki Tatsuya was not about to pass on that easily:

Korra, that's... I don't know what I can say... I'm sold. I was even about to make you walk all the way to the Manager so that he could send you all the way back to me and get a nice laugh out of the ordeal but, after that speech, I have nothing to say other than: the job is yours if you want it, and I sincerely apologise if I insulted you in any way shape or form. Just, bear in mind that, should you choose to accept, you will need to follow three simple rules. There may be more I can add in the future, but for the time being, you'll only need to follow these ones.

Number one, I will try to respect your creative process and I swear to you that I will never put you in a position to draw someone who does not want to be drawn, but in return, you must promise me that you will see your work through to the end. There is no reason for us not to get along, but this is also work, and you must complete the tasks you're given to the best of your ability.

Number two, you get two free-drinks per week, and your lunch will always be covered, whenever we stay in one of my inns. Both of these are simple enough, and they are not debatable. Should you choose to accept, we will handle the details of your pay at a later time, but they will be something along the lines of a fixed wage, plus some bonuses for whenever your work comes in handy.

Last, but not least, number three. You are free to sell or give out your other work at will, but you will not be allowed to disclose any information or use any of the people I ask you to paint, in any other kind of work. Privacy is very important in the world of business, and you have shown to respect it greatly in some situations, so I will need you to keep it in mind at all times.

With that, my speech is over. Feel free to think things through overnight if you must, but I will be heading off tomorrow or the day after, so I will be needing an answer by sunset, tomorrow.

The fire bender knew he'd left some details out. Mainly, his name and who he was, but there was no time for that. Korra had created this wonderfully special moment that he felt he had to capitalise on.

Mood: Charmed
Condition: Positively Surprised

Back to top Go down
Korra
Korra

PostSubject: Re: Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra]   Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra] EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 8:50 pm

Korra Tonraizi

Korra was expecting to be dismissed and move on in her search for employment, although it seemed that that was not the man's intent either, to the younger girl's... well, surprise. If he had actually pinched her cheeks, she might have whined a bit, but ultimately probably would have just accepted it. It was not that Korra felt insulted if she was treated like a child (unless it truly *was* condescending)--she was simply so used to everyone just treating her like an adult, so it felt rather odd sometimes, to be treated like a girl her age.

"I getcha..." she nodded, "I... well," she unfurled her painting again, looking it over. The fiery colors and the sharp, detailed lines were an expression of her personality, and so it had kind of hurt her feelings when he had expressed displeasure, even if it had been in a somewhat roundabout way. Not that she expected people to strictly praise her work, but usually when they had a complaint, it was something about the image, and Korra could take the heat from an artistic perspective. "it was sort of a method of expression... I know that sounds silly... but I kind of poured my heart into it. I pour my heart and soul into every image I create."

"but I'll stop whining. What are the terms..."
She fell silent to listen to what the three rules were, nodding in acknowledgement for each one. They seemed easy enough for her. The first one was something she did on a regular basis, unless she royally screwed up or something--but usually when that happened, she would just start over unless she ran out of a certain color late at night when the stores were closed or something. The 2nd rule... well, she had a rather voracious metabolism, possibly from the same drugs that had given her body that ridiculously-strong "immunity" to intoxication, and so the growing girl wouldn't mind a bite to eat.
His 3rd rule made sense too, although it did leave her with some questions.

"Those sound like reasonable enough terms," she indicated after a moment, "although... only two free drinks? poogas." she pouted playfully. "well... as long as I can choose. I want that one that'd put chest hairs on my great Aunt Sally--if she didn't already have 'em, that is." The traumatized girl made a joke. Perhaps that was one for the calendars or something.
"Otherwise... what kind of people would you have me painting? would they approve of it? I... well, if I'm not comfortable even painting a drunk man who probably wouldn't even care even if he knew... I wouldn't want to be intrusive on more alert individuals either without their consent. Otherwise... I see no other issues or concerns that come to mind... thoughts?"she was more or less ready to agree if her questions could be answered. She only had those few.
Mood: Surprised

Back to top Go down
Tatsuya
Tatsuya

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra]   Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra] EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 9:09 pm

Akatsuki, Tatsuya

I usually enjoy the potent drinks myself, so I tend to carry them when I travel. But hey... if those don't work, we could try something new... like animal tranquilliser. That sounds like it'll pack a punch, and I figure that, if the tigerdillos can take it, then so can we. What do you think? - the fire bender said, with a sly wink, having previously sketched a smile at the young woman's joke.

Laughing as the water bender, clearly unaware of just how large a single man or woman's egos can be, inquired about permission for her pairings, he would reply in between chuckles:
Don't you worry. You'll mostly paint objects and, the few people whose portraits you do end up painting will practically be begging you to do it, especially with your skills. You won't ever be forced to paint anyone who doesn't want to be painted. Promise.

Sensing that Korra was on the verge of a "yes", the man would proceed to give her one final push. Outstretching his right hand, that now stood palm up in front of her, as if to entice the teenager to take it, the man would display a sly, but gentle grin.

So tell me, little miss... If you could go anywhere, where would you go?

Mood: Amused

Last edited by Tatsuya on Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Korra
Korra

PostSubject: Re: Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra]   Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra] EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 11:00 pm

Korra Tonraizi

Korra laughed, putting her hands up. "hey now... you're acting like you *want* to try and knock me out. or am I sensing a drinking game?" She was a little wary on the subject, for being drugged and knocked out accordingly had been part of her trauma back during her early teenage years. She hoped not to push the subject, not wanting to trigger her PTSD or anything like that. The last thing she needed right now was a breakdown right as she was about to land a job.

She did seem fairly relieved at his explanation of what (and whom) she would be painting. She had admittedly been thinking along the same lines as Eddie the Drunk over here, and did not want to really take any part in that.
She actually did take his hand to stand up when he offered it though, almost as if she was sealing the deal.
"Well... I've always wanted to see the Water Tribes one day. My parents were immigrants to the Earth Kingdom, so that's where I grew up. But really... just about anywhere. I wouldn't mind travelling as long as I could stay safe and such." She figured that one didn't need specification.
Mood: Excited

Back to top Go down
Tatsuya
Tatsuya

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra]   Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra] EmptyTue Dec 09, 2014 7:27 am

Akatsuki, Tatsuya

In noticing that the water bender had gotten up from the chair, Tatsuya believed that this would be as good a time as any to complete his business. Having glanced over to the thinning clients, he chose to leave his post and, with a wave, politely request Korra to walk with him.

You'd like to see the water tribes, huh?... That can certainly be arranged. I have some business to attend to in the Earth Kingdom, so here's what we'll do... How well do you know the Nation? - the man referred, of course, to the very lands they stood on... Having given the woman just enough time to respond, but not particularly worried about the possibility of her answer being "no", Tatsuya simply continued to speak, as the walk towards the reception neared its end:

So, here's what you're going to do. You'll now be meeting the Manager  - he's the man who sent you over my way, should you be familiar with his face. He will be telling you which places you should visit, here, and do feel free to add a few of your favourites to his list. Try to sketch at least three different takes on each monument. I should be back in a few weeks, at most, so upon my return we can discuss this little "Vacation" of yours.

The young artist before him had opened his eyes to a world of possibilities. Although he wasn't exactly richer than God, as he led Korra towards the the Manager, Tatsuya began to contemplate the pros and cons of a life as a maecenas.

Ah, where are my manners. My name is Tatsuya and I own this lovely establishment, as well as a few others like it. Korra, it truly has been lovely to meet you, and I will be eagerly awaiting your work.

As the young woman left his side, the man began to make his way back to the bar. Seeing that, as the hours had rolled on by since Korra's arrival, the crowd had begun to thin out, and that someone had come to retrieve the "Ed" that they had previously left strewn about on the counter, Tatsuya figured it was time to call it a night. In the morning, he would set out to Full Moon Bay, to confirm the rumours of a little flyer that had come into his possession by the means of a Navy Officer and a friend, who had just now returned from a trip to the Earth Kingdom.

An up-and-coming metropolis, huh? - he mumbled, grinning from ear to ear - ... This might turn out to be a good month after all...

Mood: Hopeful

Figured we’d wrap up this section like this. Seeing as how this thread won’t necessarily relate to the Inviting Them In one, I’ll leave it up to you to decide whether we wait it out, start the new topic immediately, or even stay in this one for a while longer. I’m absolutely fine with whatever it is you choose, just figured I’d just provide some options.
Back to top Go down
Korra
Korra

PostSubject: Re: Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra]   Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra] EmptyTue Dec 09, 2014 10:44 pm

Korra Tonraizi

"To be honest, I'm not greatly familiar with it," Korra admitted, "I haven't done a lot of travelling apart from whatever is between here and Gaoling. Not that I would mind seeing more of the world... but so far my range of exploration is fairly scant at the moment if you get my drift."
Otherwise, she nodded understandingly at all of the man's other remarks, and chuckled as she realized that only now had he actually given her his name. Well, that might be useful to know--a good thing he remembered, because she certainly had not.

She went home to contemplate these things, but all in all, she was pretty sure she'd be cool with this adventure and vacation or whatever it was. It wasn't like she'd be wantonly travelling the world at someone else's expense or anything; she'd be working productively and earning her keep--or so she was fairly certain.

----

Either way, a few weeks passed, and just as promised, Korra returned to this location to check up on the offer, hoping that it had not just been an attempt to shrug the teen off. It might have been, and perhaps if Korra had explained a bit more about her past or about her PTSD, it might have been. But this time, she'd ask for Mr. Tatsuya, and she'd be basically ready to go whenever he was.
Mood: Ready

Back to top Go down
Tatsuya
Tatsuya

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra]   Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra] EmptyWed Dec 10, 2014 7:35 am

Akatsuki, Tatsuya

Tatsuya had arrived back at the lodge, at last. A good two or three hours late - as per usual - but he was there, nonetheless. Unlike the time when he had been working in the bar, when he'd rolled up his sleeves and gotten to work, there was a definite air of erudition about him, now. If there had been any doubts before, he now looked like the kind of man who would own a chain of this magnitude... although, that might be related to the cane he now gripped with his left hand, as he held the door open for guests he'd encountered outside.

Swiftly moving along towards the Manager, who had, in turn, directed Korra and now directed him, to the very same bar Tatsuya had met the waterbender, the man would then proceed to join the up-and-coming artist in a table, this time as a customer.

Korra, my favourite protégé - he chanted, only having the one. How have you been? How did the work I requested move along? Tell me things... Tell me a story, and make it a good one.
With an amused wink and a disarming smile, Tatsuya inquired. This story of his referred to the questions he'd asked previously, as well as Korra's exploits throughout the Fire Nation as per his request, these past few weeks.

Back to top Go down
Korra
Korra

PostSubject: Re: Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra]   Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra] EmptyWed Dec 10, 2014 12:32 pm

Korra Tonraizi

One thing that Korra did not mention as she rummaged in her art bag was that the nightmares hadn't gone away. Granted, they weren't his fault or anything, but she realized that she'd probably have to eventually confess it all to him. Well... hopefully she could leave out the part about being a murderer. That was not her... she was just as horrified by it as anyone else--probably more so, knowing that that blood was on her hands. She would never return to that lifestyle.

"The going is good," she indicated, "I sketched or painted everything you told me to, and I've got 'em right here if you needed to see them." Korra was never one to claim she did something that she didn't do. If anything, she was the opposite. "you... want a story? Well umm..." Korra racked her mind for some kind of interesting or unusual story, taking a moment to think of one.

"Well, one time I spent all day fixing an airship for the Firelord... mostly a bit of engine work, really... was banging this or tightening that or adjusting whatever else have you... I was covered in grease by the end of the afternoon, but it was worth it. Now that ship is a good bit faster than the others." She lived with Tarek Raiden and his family, and so technically, it was just like doing work for her stepfamily, or something.
"oh, and Aveline came to visit, and so I nearly didn't finish the projects." she chuckled. "all in all, it was a pretty good week."

she'd elaborate more later.
Mood: Ready

Back to top Go down
Tatsuya
Tatsuya

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra]   Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra] EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 8:33 am

Akatsuki, Tatsuya

Tatsuya politely nodded when Korra offered to show him the work he'd requested of her.

Waiting calmly for her to discover her work in her bag, the man would intently listen to her speak of working for the Fire Lord, as some form of grease monkey. The fire bender never really had any interest in quote/unquote royalty, but he did raise an eyebrow wondering just why it was that someone who was clearly able to land a proper job, would have entered what looked like the first establishment she came across, to search for work.

After a few moments of pondering, the man simply chose to shrug it off - it wasn't his business to know anyway. As the first moment of confusion moved away, he found himself facing two pieces of information that seemed to be completely unrelated wrapped in what seemed to be a single "story"... Had she worked on this airship during the weeks he'd been away? Or was that a previous and as such unrelated event?... Deciding that prodding the girl for answers wouldn't really be worth it to either of them and grinning from an the undeniable sense of deja vu , the man let out a quick sigh and stated:

You really need to work on your storytelling skills... Now, let's see those paintings, and after that, it'll be time to talk shop: Which Water Tribe do you want to see first? The Northern or the Southern one? I feel like it's high time I pay a visit to some friends in the Air Temples, so I'll be fine with letting you pick and even let you go without a chaperone. I'll be close enough in case I'm needed, but far away enough to let you have your space, little one.

The Air Temples were always a fun trip to the Firebender. The Airbenders were a fun people. Most were completely unpretentious and, having dedicated their lives to travelling around the world, always had some good stories to tell keen listeners. He also felt that it was incredibly fun to try and sweet talk them into getting him his very own Sky Bison. There was no real reason he wanted the beast other than his own personal gratification, if he was to be honest, and as such he didn't really expect to be given one, or care how often he was denied. It was simply a fun game he liked to play with the Nomads. Of course, regardless of whether or not the creature gave him any more than a sense of personal achievement, he would be a good companion to the Bison, which was part of the reason the Acolytes and Benders even considered indulging him and playing his "game".

Not really attempting to get Tatsuya a Sky Bison pet. Although I can't exactly deny the fact that it probably would be interesting for a jokester to have a lovable idiot pet like a bison, the ordeal was really only designed to be a fun story.
Back to top Go down
Korra
Korra

PostSubject: Re: Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra]   Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra] EmptyThu Dec 11, 2014 12:32 pm

Korra Tonraizi

Korra had felt like it was pretty obvious that she simply lived with the people in question. it certainly wasn't bragging rights or anything like that. Besides, she assumed (however incorrectly) that more people knew the Raidens as the Fire Nation Royal Family than they did by name. Such was one of the downfalls of the public life. Whatever the case, she simply shrugged.
"I don't get paid to tell stories," she quipped, "I get paid to draw stuff and fix stuff, so I'll leave the storytelling up to you."

In truth, Korra hated telling stories, because she had to weave and dodge around all of her demons, zigzagging away from her nightmares and traumas. Thus, when asked about her past, she'd simply summarize, or tell some choppy version most of the time. On the other hand, she did decide to mention something--maybe this was a stupid move, but it'd be better than trying to explain when they were halfway across the world. getting dumped off at the nearest stop and then having to find her way home wouldn't be too pleasant.

"also, I guess I should mention..." she muttered, a little hesitant, "sometimes I get these vivid dreams... or nightmares... so I might wake up in the middle of the night crying out at a volume that'd be less than savory that that hour... just... a... erm..." she scratched her head, not really remembering where she was going with this. "I guess I just felt you should know, if we're travelling together or what have you. Otherwise... as for Water Tribes, my parents were southern, and so I'd like to go there first if at all possible. I wouldn't mind seeing the Air Temples too though."

aaaaand there it was. at this point she kind of felt like this was take-it-or-leave-it, and so she left the response to Tatsuya.
Mood: Wary

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra]   Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra] Empty

Back to top Go down

Occupying the Mind [Tatsuya/Korra]
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next