The Last Airbender: New Chapters RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Airbender: New Chapters RP - take a roleplay voyage through the world of The Last Airbender.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A Ghost of Murky Waters

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

A Ghost of Murky Waters Empty
PostSubject: A Ghost of Murky Waters   A Ghost of Murky Waters EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 1:52 am

Darkness permeated the swamps with the enormity of a blanket. Thick and impregnable, warm and heavy - the darkness of the swamps was something seldom cut by the likes of sunlight from the world above the canopy of trees. Though today, an enigma happened.

Upon the murky waters of the swamps, a puddle of sparkling gold poured from above. A short haired girl sat beside the puddle upon a tree root, naked feet dipped and a fishing rod in her small hands. A strange storm had befallen the foggy swampland the day before and within the broken branches and destroyed plants, a hole had been created in the tree tops - and all of the fish were flocking to the warmth in the water.

Xue sat attentively, head resting on her knees, tugging the rod every once in awhile to imitate the likeness of her bait to perhaps a tadpole, or another fish. Watching, she saw many gold and silver fish hover about her bait - but no biting. A frown pervaded her lips and the girl sighed. "Bad karma to take advantage of a vacation spot," she muttered to herself as she waited. A ghost of the swamps, she resonated near the warmth like the fish she so hoped to catch.
Mood: Neutral.
Condition: Good.

Back to top Go down
Loki
Staff Admin
Loki

EXP : 5815

Character Description
Position: Thief
Nation: Air Temples

PostSubject: Re: A Ghost of Murky Waters   A Ghost of Murky Waters EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 11:17 pm

((My God your writing is gorgeous! I cannot hope to write at the same caliber, but I hope you won't mind if I join.))

Loki had been on a water tribe ship in the middle of the Fire Nation when she had realized she was an enemy of both of these people. An airbender from the Earth Kingdom, Loki knew immediately that she was in grave danger, and had decided to flee as soon as she got the chance. Loki had hoped to tear a sail and use the light weight material to fly out of there, but the ship was powered by a steam engine. Perhaps a sail was saved in case the ship ran out of fuel? Waterbending could move a ship, but this ship was huge, a sail would be a necessary precaution. What Loki didn't realize was that waterbenders heated the water from the ocean and let the resulting steam turn a turbine. The ship, however, did have a sail, in case the ship was low on manpower after a battle. It took a while, looking through almost every box to be had on the ship, but she finally found a large amount of lovely canvas.

Relishing in her foresight, Loki made her escape in the dark of the night. In fact, it was unusually dark, Loki looked up to see not a star was in sight, and the moon which had been nearly full the day before was no where to be seen. She quickly realized the sky was covered in clouds and that this night might be too dark to see by. Lightning struck somewhere close by. As the thunder rolled over Loki, she realized darkness would be the least of her problems. Rain crashed torrentially making the light canvas heavy and nearly impossible to keep up, let alone keep Loki afloat. The soggy cloth was useless, and Loki was caught in a freefall, unable to stop. This is the stupidest thing I've ever done. Loki knew if she hit water, she still would not survive, and she'd have to put all of her airbending skills into saving her skin. With the light of a nearby lightning strike, Loki was able to see some sort of jungle below her. With this fleeting knowledge she predicted when she'd hit the canopy and used all of her power to slow her flight in one burst of air.

Loki had never been able to make powerful strikes with her airbending, only discreet and silky moves that aided her thievery, but the adrenaline from near death let her release all of her fear into one burst. She managed to slow down plenty, but the landing was still rough. She felt like she was strewn from every tree that caught her and land uncormfortably on another one. Finally she landed with a sickening squish in some unforgiving muck. She was ridiculously jittery and frightened out of her skin. She got up to make sure she wasn't hurt too badly, but it seemed she'd managed to land with just bruises everywhere. After a while the adrenaline faded and she slept in the lovely muck she'd landed in initially.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Ghost of Murky Waters   A Ghost of Murky Waters EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 11:59 pm

OOC: I'm flattered! I am quite intrigued by your post as well~

A cloud floated over and the pillar of filtered light flickered out within the swamp. The small bit of joy was smote out, and now the hermit only felt foolish as she left alone to fish in the dark. Her nose twitched irritably, and she ran a fishy smelling hand over her chopped hair in some arbitrary act to regain her dignity. A master water bender, a hermit of the swamps, a fisherman and great creator of fish soup - defeated by the likes of a cloud. She had wanted to live here without relying too much on the means of her water bending, finding that she preferred the more natural method of hunting with a fishing pole, and walking on her own feet rather than gliding across frozen water. She was on day 5 of no bending. Xue Xui hadn't eaten in four days.

Packing up her fishing pole, she used it like a walking stick as she gracefully navigated the tree roots she had now memorized in her long months of staying there. Her knees bruised and knobby, the wanderer was adorned in sapphire hued threads that were shredded and native-like, no longer resembling the coats and furs she wore in her previous life as a Northern Water Tribe civilian. Her naked feet more suited to dirt and rocks than icebergs and snow; her green eyes and olive complexion made her look like every other swamp dweller transient.

A big root, a hallow of mud, a tangle of small gnarled vines.. her feet navigated themselves in the dark. It was when her toes curled around something hard and metallic did Xue's breath catch in her throat and she stopped and looked down, foot raised above a slender body covered in mud... a girl.. asleep? Her emerald gaze drank in the sight of a pony tail, a diamond necklace.. a dagger hilt that she stepped on.. And the girl was broken looking, maybe even dead.

Xue, unlike most people, did not step away from the supposed corpse, but instead planted her foot and bent over the body, her own form full of wonder. Her intelligent eyes looked for any signs of life. Xue, unafraid, reached down and turned the girls head by her chin toward her; the girl's feminine featured hidden and buried in the mud. A frown faltered the water bender's features as there was no reaction from the girl, and then, on an impulse, Xue took the back of her fish-smelling hand and slapped her lightly on the cheek.

"You don't want to sleep here, mud eater," she commented sardonically, not expecting her to hear, but hoping she would. Death was not something Xue Xui wanted to find in the middle of her all ready bad luck stricken week.

Mood: Irritated, but good.

Back to top Go down
Loki
Staff Admin
Loki

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Ghost of Murky Waters   A Ghost of Murky Waters EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 6:39 pm

"...mud eater," Loki woke up, horrified by the taste of sludge in her mouth. She immediately began a hacking cough that seemed to go on for far too long until finally Loki forced the muck out of her lungs. What an awful way to wake up. Not to mention an awful first impression. Loki looked up with her mischievous eyes and saw a woman in shredded clothes. They still looked pretty somehow. Perhaps they were meant to be that way, it seemed to fit nicely with the wild surroundings. Loki realized this was a silly thing to be thinking about and changed her approach. For now she'd play helpless, maybe even a bit childlike, "Oh, where am I? Did I get lost again? Oh I do this so often," she pretended to have just noticed the girl, "Oh who are you?" Loki really had no reason to do this, she just liked acting. Maybe she'd get some free stuff out of the whole harmless approach, people loved to help. Loki observed the girl again, this time in the face. She might have miscalculated, the face seemed happy enough, but those eyes. They were so sad.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Ghost of Murky Waters   A Ghost of Murky Waters EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 9:31 pm

Relief weakened Xue's shoulders and her curious look turned to one of amused wonder instead. Little did the girl know how relieved Xue really felt. Unable to heal human flesh, the prodigy water bender was faced with her weakness in the flesh. If the girl was really hurt, Xue could not have healed her, but would have instead watched her die with little to contribute. While she was not fond of many people, being unable to help them was something she seldom was able to forgive herself for.

Happy, she continued to crouch over her. "Ah, I see that you live, mud eater. 'Tis good to see you awake." A shy grin on her cracked lips, a jovial zeal electrified the swamp dweller's atmosphere. Xue noted the girl's kind face, her shaken and air-headed reply upon waking. She did not know to trust a girl in black with daggers and stones around her neck, but the only thing that mattered - was that she lived. Xue arched a thin eyebrow at her, resting a her chin on the back of her muddied hand. "..I do not see many walkers so driven into the mud. Did you fall from the sky, or did you dive?" She was only joking, not really expecting she had fallen from any great height. The mud could really eat you if you let it. Even standing there, her bare feet has sunk to her toe knuckles.

"No matter.. I am Xue Xui," she responded honestly. She really had nothing to hide. No one was looking for her anymore, and she was not one overly concerned with her own safety. The wanderer outstretched a bony hand, thin and covered in mud, just like the stranger. "You are in the swamps, if you hadn't noticed. Do you remember who you are?"

After all, how did one arrive in the center of the swamps without knowing where they were? Amnesia was not so far off an answer and she had not seen her before.

Mood: Neutral.

Back to top Go down
Loki
Staff Admin
Loki

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Ghost of Murky Waters   A Ghost of Murky Waters EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 10:48 pm

Loki

Loki was surprised to find that she actually really liked this girl. She seemed genuinely sweet and curious, something Loki didn't see too often. Also, the way she talked. It was...folksy? Loki couldn't place it, but she liked it. She dropped the act a bit. Her voice was less childish and her language wasn't as simple. Hopefully Xue would attribute the earlier speech to having just woken up.

"Actually yes, I did fall out of the sky, if you can believe it. I'm an airbender, so I was flying when a storm took me down. In fact I think the sail I was using might be around here somewhere. I'm not the best at bending, so I'm pretty lucky I survived,"

Loki looked around for a second. The swamp was really dark, but there was a lot of wildlife. She couldn't really see it, but she could sure hear it. Everywhere around her twitters and chirps, chitters and howls, and a few roars raucously sounded. Most of the sounds seemed far off though, so Loki wasn't worried about being attacked.

"I'm Loki by the way." Loki looked up and gave Xue her usual mischievous smile. "It's nice to meet you." She gave a quick glance at the surroundings again. "So what kingdom are these swamps in? I might have lost my sense of direction in the storm."

Mood: Curious
Condition: A Bit Beat Up

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Ghost of Murky Waters   A Ghost of Murky Waters EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 10:01 pm

OOC: Apologies for the wait. I wrote a reply and my room mate deleted it before I could post it. Hadn't had a lot of time to rewrite it. Here you are!

Amazed, she could not hide her surprise. "An air bender? You are quite far from home, I would say. You are in the southern Earth Kingdom," The darkness that cloaked them yielded then a chorus of animal noises, distant and close. All sounds Xue was used to - but was not when she first came here. Was this girl an Air Nomad? She did not know how the world worked as well anymore. When she thought of air benders, she thought of arrows and bald heads. This girl was pretty and young - and not very monk-like.

"Your honesty is quite refreshing, Loki of the Sky," she smiled again, returning with equal mischievousness. Xue was fond of nicknames, especially of those that amused or intrigued her. "I will return with some honesty of my own. I have been trying to live without water bending for a week now, and find that it is perhaps against my nature like it is against a snake-fish to fly." As she spoke, she placed her fishing rod next to her on the roots, away form the mud and stood up. Rubbing her hands together, Xue proceeded to separate them and rotate them over each other, fingers sprayed as though holding a sphere.

The mud that was on her hands and on both of their skins began to ripple and churn to the rhythm of her hands. And then with an upward thrust of her palms, the water in the mud shot off their clothes, their equipment, hair and faces in all directions - hitting trees and plants and roots with millions of small "splats", leaving both women mud-free and dry. Moisture had been in both of their hair, however, and upon the expulsion of water - Xue's short hair stuck out in all directions. Loki's would have been as well.

Xue licked her teeth, quite certain she had left her mouth open during her display of water bending and now had dirt coating her mouth. "Ugh," she smacked her mouth, reaching for Loki's hand again to help her up off the ground, "If you need help getting out of here, I am afraid I can not help you. Leaving isn't much of an option for me just yet. But a place to stay, I can help with. Where are you heading back to?" She asked, waiting for Loki to take her hand.

Level : Master Water Bender
Position : Hermit of Swamp
Condition : Healthy

Back to top Go down
Loki
Staff Admin
Loki

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Ghost of Murky Waters   A Ghost of Murky Waters EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 10:41 pm

Loki

"Not as far as you'd think. My parents lived in Ba Sing Se, so that's where I grew up. I've been traveling for quite a while now though. I had been in the Fire Nation for quite a while actually,"

Loki of the Sky? She had to admit she enjoyed that name quite a lot. The sky was everywhere, omniscient, always present, and yet you couldn't see it right in front of you. She thought this was very similar to when she was thieving. She was observant, aware of her surroundings at all times. She could lightly touch the people who walked by, but they wouldn't notice her at all. This also came in handy when she wanted to remove their expensive necklace. It was probably just the wind, right? She could watch a person for hours, and they would never notice her. Sure they might look up, even look directly at her, but could they actually see her? No, they saw everything around her. In fact, Loki might start thinking of herself as Loki of the Night Sky. She wouldn't tell Xue to call her this, that would just make her seem full of herself. But still, she delighted in the name.

Now of course she had to think of a name for Xue. What did she know about her so far? Xue of the Swamp? No that was too obvious (and not flattering at all). Plus it sounded like she'd just taken Xue's idea and applied it to her. Maybe this nickname was a one time thing and it wouldn't come up again anyway.

Loki observed Xue's waterbending, feeling the mud move with the rhythm of her hands. As the mud flew away, Loki saw Xue's hair sticking out in every direction. She stifled a laugh and subconsciously reached up to feel her own hair sticking out everywhere. She had longer hair, so she probably looked absolutely foolish. She tried pushing it down, but it was still floated around quite a lot. Well as long as only she sees it like this, I guess it's fine.

As Xue helped her up, Loki asked, "Why would you try to not use your bending? Seems a bit purposeless." She once again flashed her mischievous smile at Xue's question. "Let's just say I make my living on the road and can basically survive anywhere there is people. I've been trying to slow down a bit though, I wouldn't mind staying with you for a while. I bet I can find ways to help." She looked at the swamp again. It's not the best, but she said she can't help me get out anyway.

Mood: Interested

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Ghost of Murky Waters   A Ghost of Murky Waters EmptyMon Jan 02, 2012 11:41 pm

"It was more of an experiment really," she answered simply - the answer being quite true. Water bending had permeated her existence since a child, and she had wondered if she could live without it. With the experiment looking like a failure, Xue doubted she could. Rather than being a master manipulator of water, the water in essence manipulated her instead. Strangely, Xue was not so worried about it as she had thought she would be.

Her hair felt rather umbrella-like, and it took a moment before she realized what she had done. Unperturbed by her appearance or her new acquaintance's, she simply gave Loki a slightly dimpled, sheepish grin and proceeded to try to flatten her hair; the humidity in the air all ready taking effect and making it easy to do. It was impossible to look as well made-up as she ever did in the civilized Northern Water Tribe, but she didn't mind. She hoped Loki didn't mind either, though she looked as well traveled as Xue did. Perhaps this was why she liked her - what better way than to meet someone in filth? An air bender no less? Xue Xui could not have asked for a more interesting house guest.

"We are going that way, Miss. Sky," Xue lifted her fishing stick and pointed to a giant tree on the other side of the expanse of murky waters, about 30 yards out and hardly discernible in the foggy atmosphere. Alone, she might have skipped across the water, but she was more interested in Loki of the Sky.

"Would.." she began, peering back at the ebony-clad air bender and raised a thin eyebrow; her expression subtly disguised with eargerness, "..you fly us over there? If you feel up to it, of course~"

Back to top Go down
Loki
Staff Admin
Loki

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Ghost of Murky Waters   A Ghost of Murky Waters EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 4:56 pm

Loki

"Umm..." She couldn't do it without the sail. When it had become soggy she'd let go of it. Because of how wet it was, Loki assumed the heavy weight should have landed it near her crash site. She looked at the ground trying to find anything out of the ordinary. The mud and plant life all gave off dull and dark colors, and the last time she'd seen it, the sail had been bleach white. Maybe it had gotten stuck in a tree.

"Give me just one second," Loki said, holding up a finger to indicate the time. She softly jumped and used airbending to push herself to new heights. She landed on a limb and continued to hop higher and higher. She finally jumped though the cloud of leaves that made up the canopy, alighting her feather weight on the tiny branches. The sky was so clear, not even showing a hint of the storm that had landed her here. Looking around Loki quickly found the sail draped over the emerald leaves, all dried out from lying out in the sun. She bundled it up, and carefully descended.

She had to locate Xue again, but she hadn't veered too far. She walked back to her talking as she went, "Alright, I got the sail I had used to get here, I think I can support us both if you make sure to hold on. Here, if you put you left arm over my shoulder and hold the sail here, and I do the same on the other side, it'll distribute our weight better than if you just held on to my legs for dear life. Just make sure you hold on tight to the sail and me. If you let go of either we'll fall." ((OOC: A bit of character control, hope you don't mind.)) Xue followed Loki's instructions, and as soon as Loki felt they were ready, she filled the sail with a long blast of wind. The air graced the foliage around them, pushing many of the permanently wet plants all the way to ground. Before them was clear water, clear of plants anyway, which would be good for flying. With a light hop, the sail picked both of them off the ground, and Loki kept the wind pushing them forward. A smile of course alighted her features, flying was magical.

Mood: Happy

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Ghost of Murky Waters   A Ghost of Murky Waters EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 11:03 am

Xue was impressed by the display of athleticism typically associated with benders. Jumping high only made sense for an air bender, and Xue could not help but stand back and marvel. It has been so long since I have met another bender.. She thought, shrill with pride and before she knew it, Loki was back with her sail. Xue followed the instructions, putting full trust in her new stranger and wrapping an arm around her tightly and holding the sail. Peering at her, she commented idly, "You know.. this doesn't look too har--!!" and suddenly, Xue's bare feet were lifted off the ground in a gust of wind.

Instantly Xue's arm tightened around the air bender, and it took every inkling of effort to keep form shutting her eyes in fear. She had never actually been off the ground before - not like this, and the sight of seeing only swamp water below in all directions made her stomach do a flip. They rose farther and farther up, and soon they were just high enough to be over the fog of the swamps, and closer to the tree canopy. To Xue, it felt like being inside a cloud, but now the water was indiscernible.

The moisture that had clung to Xue was suddenly very cold, but it did not bother her. Her eyes were, however, not used to the air speed and were watering as they rose. "I will say," she spoke louder over the wind currents, "This is the way to travel!" Exuberance commanded the water bender as she took in the experience of flying. Amaze and wonder laced her awe-filled expression as she peered at the trees in a way that seemed.. oddly familiar.

And then, deja vu swept over Xue like a wave. Her hands were touching white fur, with wind dancing between her orange threaded clothes. She was flying, and flying high above the tree line. Though it wasn't her air bending that was guiding her; no, it was her bison's. They were leaving the swamps, Xue herself peering back at a giant tree in wonder.. Bumi told me I needed a teacher that could listen to the Earth..

Xue blinked and again, she was looking up at the dark tree canopy, past the sail and trying to see if she could make out the sun light from above. To no avail, she saw none, and was left with an after image of a giant flying creature, and the canopy of a gargantuan tree. It was the same tree that lived in the center of this swamp, and she had been to it many times. But what did that vision mean? She had been there in a previous life? Never had Xue flown before now..

Xue wondered silently, and dismissed the thought. She turned her sights down again, pontificating where to land. "We need to land in that general.. area?" She nodded her head at Loki, gesturing to the Northern side of the swamp, where tree canopy indicated there were trees again, and not just water. Xue was not one able to hide her confusion well, suddenly a bit put out from the jovial air she had only a moment before.

Back to top Go down
Loki
Staff Admin
Loki

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Ghost of Murky Waters   A Ghost of Murky Waters EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Loki

Loki was pleased with Xue's excitement as they flew through the humid air, slowly rising above the fog. But after a short time Loki looked again and noticed something had definitely changed in her expression. She'd been smiling from ear to ear before, but suddenly her face was a bit confused. Maybe she's feeling sick. She probably hasn't flown before. Of course Xue had actually flown plenty of times, just not in this life. Loki had no idea she was with the avatar, she'd probably find the idea ridiculous. The avatar seemed like a position no normal human could reach, and Xue just seemed like a nice girl with a knack for waterbending. Of course so far Loki had only seen her move mud and that it was quite a small quantity to boot. The mud had earth in it which might make it a bit harder to bend, but it was still possible. For now, Loki would believe Xue was about the same level as her in her bending talents. Following Xue's gesticulation, Loki made the descent to the vague area Xue has pointed out. "Make sure you don't lock your knees," Loki said. Landing required you to give in to gravity, moving your joints with it. Locking your knees would hurt a lot more than you'd expect. Loki touched down and folded the sail with her airbending. She didn't have anywhere to put it, so she just stuffed it in the side of her pants. "So what brings us over here?"

Mood: A Tad Concerned

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Ghost of Murky Waters   A Ghost of Murky Waters EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 5:23 pm

Two pairs of bare feet touched ground, and Xue embraced for impact, almost falling over upon the landing, but balancing herself nicely. She turned to grin at her new friend. Thrilled at what just happened, she refused to let her confusion falter her.

"What loveliness it is," the swamp dweller commented with vigor. Xue let go of the sail and took off forward, doing a muddy cart wheel, she disappeared in the fog; the water bender electrified by the experience of flying that felt oh so familiar to her. They now stood in the shadow of a giant. The fog had rolled in in its thickest now, but it could be seen not too far away - a large tree, one of the largest. "This is my home, Loki of the Sky! This is the dark marsh!" Xue called back through the cloud.

Now to be of the sky is true freedom, Xue thought to herself as she made her way toward the tree, an idea cultivating like a mischievous monster. Xue was fond of playing, and she hoped that Loki was as well. Xue was also unabashedly fond of showing off, and being shown things that were new. This was how she tested Loki the air bender.

Xue turned heel as she approached the tree and faced the direction that Loki had landed. Raising her knobby hands, palms toward her and facing up, she pushed the fog to either side of them, making a pathway between her and her new acquaintance. They stood in a valley of mist, water to Loki's back and a tree to Xue's. Xue's name for the place did not deceive, for in all directions there was endless dark waters, dark roots and no resemble of familiarity, light or seeable wild life. Not even the canopy looked familiar anymore. This was the Dark Marshes.

"I have changed my mind!" Xue put her hands on her hips, tilting her spiky head to one side, "Let me see what you can do, Loki of the Sky, and if you prove worthy to the swamp - then I will lead you out! Otherwise, you will be bound here forever, if you survive me! Loki of the Swamp Water will be your new name!" Xue called to her playfully, a challenge hanging in the air.

Was it fair to fight with a recently recovered fall victim? Probably not, but Xue would not have done it if she was not interested in her.

And then, waiting for Loki's reply, Xue brought her hands back together and the fog blanketed them thickly once more, hiding them both. Xue jumped back onto a giant tree root, certain that Loki wouldn't memorize her location, and one bare foot upon the tree, the other on the roots. Why she felt empowered by it, she was not sure, but in this, it gave her power in the swamp. She raised her hands then, and behind Loki two large aqueous fists rose from the black waters. Xue, upon reaching her hands forward - her water bending did the same, reaching for Loki form behind, the 10 foot tall black hands attempted to grab Loki from both sides and pull her under the black glassy surface.

All ready did Xue know that she had missed.

Condition : Dizzy but Good

Back to top Go down
Loki
Staff Admin
Loki

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Ghost of Murky Waters   A Ghost of Murky Waters EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 10:04 pm

Loki

At the issue of the challenge, Loki felt pretty confident. She'd assessed that they were at about the same level of bending, but then she looked at the environment. Around them was nothing but water, and the air was heavy and filled with even more water. It would probably slow her bending down, it might even enable Xue to perform some kind of fake airbending. The fog settled back in before Loki could protest, not that she would, Loki was pretty prideful. The fog muffled the cacophony of the swamp, and all seemed still and quiet. Except one sound. As a thief Loki needed to be able to hear the slightest sound, the tiniest creak, the littlest trickle. The last sound is exactly what she heard. Xue seemed like a competent waterbender, so it probably wasn't from whatever she was doing, but maybe it was from whatever water she'd taken it from, the empty space immediately filling with the noisy liquid. Loki turned around seeing two large, blurry hands rushing at her, so she jumped. Loki flew into the air, higher than the fog, and made a slow descent back down. Lightly landing she yelled, "It's on, Xue of the Mud!" with a bit of playfulness in her voice. She floated away from the place she'd been when she shouted this, and lightly settled into a muddy patch. Loki wasn't a great offensive fighter, but she was excellent at hit and runs. She hoped Xue would reveal herself and give Loki the chance to snag a quick hit and go back into hiding. Trying to find Xue would merely reveal her own position. She'd play the waiting game, like a snake in the grass.

Mood: Patient

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Ghost of Murky Waters   A Ghost of Murky Waters EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 2:20 pm

Unlike her fellow swamp water benders, Xue was against bending water in plants. If Loki retaliated with much violence that would hurt the plants Xue bended, then forest would hurt for it. Instead, she used her water bending on dead and insentient things. Though being a water bender from the dead of the northern arctic, coming to the Swamp was a kind of culture shock for her. Life, plants and animals were everywhere. Xue had been awed by it all, for she had only seen fish, dragons and sea birds.

Xue's mind had been forever altered. She doubted she would ever go back to the North. This could be seen in her bending. And instead of making the swamp bend to her will, she bent to it.

I, Xue of the Mud, can feel where you are. She smiled to herself, enjoying the camaraderie with the air bender. Through the roots of this particular tree, Xue couldn't explain it, but she felt Loki's footprints in the mud, and how she cleverly moved from the place she had given away her position. Xue hoped to reveal more about her.

Xue, rooted to the tree with one foot on the trunk and the other on the roots in a kind of warrior pose, she outstretched her fingers and then curled them, palms down, her fingers simulating the likeness of insect-legs. At Loki's feet, the mud began to bubble and lurch, forming beads upon beads of lively mud as though something was emerging from within. All too quickly five-legged mud spiders were crawling from the mud, erractic and large, they flocked to Loki's barefeet and between her toes, crawling quickly in attempt to crawl up her legs. Like a wave, if Loki didn't react quickly, their intention was to bury Loki to the neck and ultimately ground the air bender.

Xue couldn't help it, but a good natured chuckle escaped her lips. The fog blanketing her view, but she could still feel what was happening without sight. Benders that relied too much on it were limited - and Xue of the Swamps like to think of herself.. elevated. But was the air bender?

Back to top Go down
Loki
Staff Admin
Loki

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Ghost of Murky Waters   A Ghost of Murky Waters EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 6:40 pm

Loki

Feeling a brushing on her feet, Loki looked down. Her pupils dialated, and her lids flew open. Loki screamed so loud that concussive amounts of air blasted out of her lungs, and she jumped at least 30 feet in the air. She flew around, erratically shaking herself and slamming her hands repeatedly on her lower half in order to make sure there were none of the bugs, and after she made sure, she made sure again. Her flight patterns twisted and turned and her erratic breathing blew away the fog all around her. She eventually alighted on a tree hyperventilating as she did. She'd almost completely forgot about her battle with Xue...Xue! Those bugs had looked strange. And terrifying. Xue was probably behind it. How had she known where she was? Loki had put all of her expertise into staying unseen. Loki racked her brain. What could it be? The water! The entire swamp was soaked, and no matter where Loki went she would be seen through the water. "Looks like I won't be hiding." Loki still hadn't located Xue, but the air was as clear as it would ever be after Loki's hysterical spasms. "It's unfortunate that anyone can see through the air. I'll be getting no advantage from that." Listening to the environment, Loki couldn't hear any sign of Xue, just chittering bugs and the occasional sound of a larger animal. Smell wouldn't help, it smelled like a swamp. Taste was obviously just as useless, as was touch. All of Loki's senses went into locating her opponent, but sight was still the obvious choice. Xue probably already knew where Loki was, she'd get to make the next move.

Mood: Horrified

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Ghost of Murky Waters   A Ghost of Murky Waters EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 10:37 pm

Xue removed her foot from the tree, standing straight again as the fog shifted across the dark mud and waters. Xue couldn't help but be amused by Loki's reaction. "Don't be afraid, Air bender of the Murk!" She called to her, watching the fog shift and churn like a living creature. She wasn't done with just playing - but she also didn't want to play tag all day. So Xue jumped from the her own tree and took off toward the tree she was certain Loki was at - now no longer using the empathy of the swamp to find Loki, but going by sound. A sound of quickly increasing footsteps came thumping toward the air bender, faster and faster, and then --

From the fog, wings were flapping violently, and a loud whistle came at Loki's head. Birds flew from the water, their making was that of mist vapor and water. A flock of fog birds reigned down upon Loki, bursting in watery explosions as they came close - hitting the ground, the tree and if Loki didn't move, her skin and face as well.

"YAHYAHAYAHHH!!!!" Upon the distraction, Xue the Swamp Dweller shrieked from the sea of fog, leaping like predator toward the air bender, finally visable. Xue had her hands raised above her head, a fishing pole in her hands, her swing aiming split Loki's lock covered forehead. The piercing shriek caused real birds all around them to take flight.

Back to top Go down
Loki
Staff Admin
Loki

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Ghost of Murky Waters   A Ghost of Murky Waters EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 11:04 pm

Loki

Finally a sound! Soft little footsteps wended their way, and Loki quickly found Xue with the little brushings as a guide. Let's surprise the poor girl. - However, Loki was surprised when a piercing whistle shot the surrounding air. Acting on instinct, Loki put an airstream in front of her, that would throw anything coming at her up into the air. Deflection required less energy than a complete block, so it was a very reactive move. The avians were thrown to the sky where they exploded in a glittery confetti of water droplets. The sparse sun glinted off their liquid skins, and a dull rainbow glowed for a moment. Their gorgeous explosions did not pose any harm to Loki, but they had done their job of distraction. "YAHYAHAYAHHH!!!!" Blast it! The pole was crashing toward Loki, but she ducked to the side. The flexy wood whipped into her shoulder, and Loki winced but immediately took action. Grabbing the pole with her right arm, Loki pulled harshly and tried to sweep Xue with a wind blast using her left foot, hoping the pull on Xue's upper body and push on her lower would knock her to the ground, where Loki would be free to pursue a pin down of sorts.

Mood: Breathless

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Ghost of Murky Waters   A Ghost of Murky Waters EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 7:47 pm

A loud thunk emitted from the echo of collar bone and wood as Xue's fishing pole made contact. The water bender was jubilant, constantly moving like her air bending reciprocate, and upon landing her fishing pole, Xue attempted to side step for another swat at her stranger's face, but with an awed grunt from Xue, the move failed. The rush of air bending to her legs was unexpected as they flew out from under her, and Xue's weight was thrown down toward the base of the tree, certain she would fall full speed, face first.

Like a cat attempting clumsily to regain her feet, Xue let go of her only weapon, landing hard on her hands as not to bust her face, her feet not touching ground; the petite bender twisted her body mid air. The water bender then threw a long leg out to wrap around her opponent's slender waist and attempted, in her last moments of balance, take her down with her. If they fell, they would fall back down into the fog, and into the shadow of a giant.

Xue mentally kicked herself then - knowing that she had been caught unawares. Loki of the Sky was like the element she commanded, and she, like wind, would be hard to pin down.

Back to top Go down
Loki
Staff Admin
Loki

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Ghost of Murky Waters   A Ghost of Murky Waters EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 10:27 pm

Loki

As the pole dropped, Loki briskly used a blast of air to snatch it up. She could use this to make her bending a bit more dynamic. The move had cost her though, and Xue's leg grabbed Loki and they both tumbled from the tree. With Xue still on top, Loki knew if she didn't act fast she'd be padding in the end. Loki was facing up, her hair whipping in front of her eyes as they descended. She put the rod out in front of her and whipped it in circles giving herself lift. She still descended very rapidly, but she landed without harm. She brought her arms down and winced. Her collarbone really hurt, moving her left shoulder above her head and back below stung crazily. She saw Xue nearby. She spun the flexy rod, holding onto the bottom to keep it from flopping. The spinning shot pristine razors at Xue, Loki was hoping to crumble her balance by galling her with blast forces.

Mood: Breathless
Condition: Ouch

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Ghost of Murky Waters   A Ghost of Murky Waters EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 10:22 am

The fog enveloped them both as they broke the surface, falling back into the depths. This deep in the fog, not even the trees that presided over them could be seen.

Xue had to lean back swiftly to dodge the propeller of her own fishing pole, doing so by launching back from Loki, doing a back flip and landing several feet away. As soon as she landed, Xue the swamp dweller had to dance her way from being shred to pieces, side stepping quickly as three wind-molded razor blades whizzed past her hair, her middle and her knees. The fog parted for seconds before submerging the atmosphere with a grand thickness once more. Each blade that came at Xue was dodged with milliseconds to spare, it wasn’t until later did she notice she didn’t necessarily dodge them all either. Paper cuts covered her bare arms and stomach, and her hair was randomly chopped in places that made her look more wild than she cared for.

The onslaught did not cease until Xue turned to face it with her own bending. The moisture in the air was thick, and even when the fog was parted – the water did not cease to exist. Raising her hands, she made a “stop” signal and the fog came tumbling into the air current, slowing down to a faint wind upon reaching Xue. She was.. Fog bending?

The swamp dweller refused to do anything frozen, or ice – not yet, as even bending styles revealed people and their origins; Xue would continue to escape her’s. Lowering her hands, she took a low stance. Watching, Loki she had decided to try something she had never tried before. Raising her hands above her spikey head she began to move them in a helicopter-like rotation, quickly and methodically. Xue, enthused at her new “technique” she used Loki’s spinning movements to create a gathering of water above her head – much like an air bender uses to create circular currents – and created a boomerang like disk. Xue hurled it with a great throwing of her own weight at Loki. She took aim with the blade-like liquid and split it into five pieces mid air – aiming at Loki’s shoulder, knees, head and neck, with only one goal in mind.

Loki took her fishing pole, she hoped to take her necklace -

Back to top Go down
Loki
Staff Admin
Loki

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Ghost of Murky Waters   A Ghost of Murky Waters EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 11:22 pm

Loki

Loki's onslaught was utterly stopped by how thick the fog had become. Her sharp air currents sluggishly dissipated in the incredible thickness. Why in the world was the air so full of so much water suddenly? Xue slowly came into view as the fog turned to clear water, and she saw, to her horror, a mimic of her own bending technique. Unlike most benders, this attempt at imitation was quite accurate, and the result was no less perfect. The sharpened liquid was shot like an arrow, and Loki only had so much time to react. Using her airstream technique again, a wall of air was put in front of her to send any projectiles down into the muddy ground. But Loki was still worried, this water was sharp and much quicker than those birds. As a precaution, she also jumped high into the air, jumping over her own jetstream. She was now about five feet closer to Xue.

Upon landing, she noticed her necklace was stuck in her hair, leaving it hanging under each eye with her nose holding the diamond on its left side. How distracting! Loki gave her head a shake, and the little prize once again resumed it's place around her neck. The little strand of metal links gave a tiny glint in the sparse sun. It was incredible how tiny someone had been able to make the strand, it was so slim you barely noticed it. It slickly slid the viewer's attention to the centerpiece. The diamond that hung on the bottom was small, but had a certain style and elegance to it that required no fancy trappings. Loki had traced the little thing with her eyes many times, so she was quick to look up. Unfortunately, you don't look down in a battle. Not even for an instant.

Mood: Distracted
Condition: A Touch of Damage

Last edited by Loki on Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Ghost of Murky Waters   A Ghost of Murky Waters EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 12:10 am

Xue peered to her left where Loki stood. In her distraction, Xue cupped an empty hand of water particles, the fog forming a solid, small sphere of water that formed and was launched at the air bender. Xue quickly followed after her launched attack, reaching through the split watered sphere and made a grab for Loki's necklace - the water splitting into a thousand tiny droplets, exploding at once. A diamond lost amongst the levitated water drops was all but a needle in a hay stack - and Xue, whether she grabbed the almost invisible necklace of not - would make an escape toward the water's edge.

Back to top Go down
Loki
Staff Admin
Loki

Character Description

PostSubject: Re: A Ghost of Murky Waters   A Ghost of Murky Waters EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 4:11 pm

Loki

Loki looked up to and saw a faceful of water droplets. Out of reaction, she shook her head, the water wasn't cold, but it was enough for an animalistic shudder. Her eyes had closed upon impact, and she felt a tug on her neck. The little tug was gone in an instant, the chain had been easily broken. Oh the irony, the thief had been thieved! Loki watched as Xue ran to the water's edge. She had gotten there by the time Loki pursued.

Loki was actually quite flustered. The necklace had been her favorite trinket for a quite long time; it had been her first thievery. She'd taken it right off the neck of an Earth Kingdom noble, who had been wearing it for so long, she didn't noticed when its weight left her neck. Reward posters were put up briefly, but no one turned in Loki even though she flaunted the thing. The poor of the Earth Kingdom had been happy that someone had taken from the well off, and this encouraged Loki to do it more. It wasn't the most fanciful thing Loki had stolen, but it was the first.

She dropped the pole. It was dead weight. Her feet pounded into the marshland, beginning her flight. Her pursuit was at top speed, and she flew like a peregrine falcon, her airbending blasting oxygen into her lungs and hurling the remains back out. It pushed her forward until she no longer touched the ground, and soared like a missile. The speed was exhilarating, but Loki's rage prevented her from enjoying it. Xue had better move or she would be tackled to the mud.

Mood: Furious
Condition: A Touch of Damage

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Ghost of Murky Waters   A Ghost of Murky Waters EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 10:46 pm

Xue could feel the fury on her exposed back. Without seeing her face, Xue knew that the character of this air bending had diametrically changed-

And again, the nature of the dark swamps shifted again. The air washed over the fog like a wave, rolling the thick blanket of mist onto the still waters in bold crests. Xue, not taking Loki's rage lightly, disappeared onto the swamp water with the fog as well. Xue's bare feet, upon touching her toes to the blackness of water, transformed the surface into an expanse of dark, frozen glass. The nature of the water bending was unique to the swamp, for one could not make surface look so mirror-like without the still waters of the swamp. Here, she could run out into the immense thickness of the fog - the petite girl's form dancing away with Loki's diamond on a looking glass.

The battleground was no longer mud and tree roots, but a dry frozen sahara of ice and fog. The water bender's strides became longer with each step. Her feet were freezing as glided at top speed out into the black lake, the bare skin of going numb and reminding Xue that even she wasn't immune to cold.

With a sharp turn, Xue bent her knees and slowed dramatically near a log tip that stuck crookedly from the lake's surface. Xue had to admit she was surprised by the reaction, but could not help but think - I am doing this selfishly, and enjoying every minute of it.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Ghost of Murky Waters   A Ghost of Murky Waters Empty

Back to top Go down

A Ghost of Murky Waters
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next