The Last Airbender: New Chapters RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Airbender: New Chapters RP - take a roleplay voyage through the world of The Last Airbender.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Newb with a few questions

Go down 
+2
Amaji
Neekla
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Neekla
Neekla

EXP : 220
Birthday : 1994-08-26

Character Description
Position:
Nation: Water Tribes

Newb with a few questions Empty
PostSubject: Newb with a few questions   Newb with a few questions EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 1:50 am

Hi, I just registered after lurking about for a couple of days. I'm still not entirely sure if I want to do this, or if my character will even be accepted, or if I'll even still enjoy RP (I haven't done one in 7 years...)

Anyway, I'm not sure if I should post this in Help or Suggestions or what, but I have an idea for a character who is a (really crappy) sub-element Plantbender. She kind of sucks at bending because she grew up with her mom in the Northern Water Tribe and there was still a stigma of girls being allowed to bend. Anyway, she can barely bend more than a cup of water and feels like she's missing something.
Throughout her childhood, her grandmother would tell her stories of forbidden love (something she was scolded for). One day she gets sick, and privately tells my character that the reason other people in the Tribe scoff at her is because she was very romantic in her teenage years, explored the world, and fell in love with an Airbender. My character's mother grew up with the story of her parents' forbidden love across nations, ran away, and fell in love with an Earthbender west of Ba Sing Se, and my character and another girl was born, but she was to live with her father and my character with her mother.
This is a huge shock to my character, and she goes on a quest to find her sister. She sails south to the lands of the Earth Kingdom where she discovers  ((this is the part my character will probably be rejected for)) that the thing she felt she was missing was Earth. She finds that she can bend mud better than water, but it's not really useful (it's hard to defend yourself with muddy chunks), and bend, like, a small vine around her finger. It's kind of pathetic how bad she is at bending, but she tries to improve as she travels. ((she can't really bend JUST water or JUST earth, because of her mixed family, her bending genes don't really know what to do and settle for somewhere in between.))
Another thing that will probably be rejected is my idea of her sister, who took after her maternal grandfather and is pretty good at Airbending. She grew up to hate her dad and the attitudes of the Earth Kingdom toward her, so she joined the other Airbenders in the Northern Air Temple (she moves around a lot though, so she visits all of them). The other Airbenders are very peaceful and religious, and detest her aggressiveness. She angers the monks, and she is banished, so she ditches her Airbender clothes and goes to the Fire Nation pretending to be a non-bender. This puts my character on a wild goose chase across the world.

SO, I really would like to RP this character. I know 80 years from Ozai might not be long enough for mixed families (but then again there were the colonies in The Promise...so maybe it is), but I'm sure there might have been some people somewhere in the ATLA universe that could have had secret, taboo mixed families.
Any feedback would be awesome Smile
Back to top Go down
Amaji
Staff Admin
Amaji

EXP : 960

Character Description
Position: Healer; Shaman of the North

PostSubject: Re: Newb with a few questions   Newb with a few questions EmptyFri Aug 02, 2013 4:44 pm

I have to say, I really like this. I also really really don't want to have to deny you of this character because she sounds sooooooo awesome. But.

One element is kinda you know... it. She could do plant bending by bending the water within the plant but earth.... mmm....

how about this. You keep this character idea, create the sister or a different one, and once I get to know you a little better you have my full support. I just can't give you an outright approval when I don't know your level of RP'ing or anything about your personality. I don't want you OP'ing this at all and once I get to know you a little better through the chatbox or threads I'll be able to make a more conclusive decision.

Think of it as a pending approval. (: Now you just have to convince the other staff members xP

Good luck and welcome to the site!!

~Nokomi, Site Administrator
Back to top Go down
Xilingshi
Awesome Member
Xilingshi

EXP : 8580
Birthday : 1991-01-16

Character Description
Position: Master Air Warrior
Nation: Air Temples

PostSubject: Re: Newb with a few questions   Newb with a few questions EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 3:41 pm

Nokomi/Amaji pretty much said what I would have said. you kind of either bend one element or bend all four (as the Avatar, a position which is already taken).
I am not exactly one to be fond of tampering with the canonical mechanics of the series, but I am also a conservative old codger.

Perhaps make another character so we can see a bit of your RPing skillz (yes, with a z), and maybe after a bit we can see where we are at that point.

~Zul~
Back to top Go down
Neekla
Neekla

Character Description
Position:

PostSubject: Re: Newb with a few questions   Newb with a few questions EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 6:07 pm

Okay. I'm working on her character sheet now, and I'm definitely going to make a character sheet for her sister too (who, upon further research I discovered, would be in the Western Air Temple because of her gender). Instead of bending both elements, what if she can "Claybend" by waterbending the water around the water-soaked earth? So she wouldn't be earthbending, but rather waterbending with plants and mud. This would be a handicap because it really weighs down the water, and throwing small chunks of mud at people isn't a very good defense strategy, and building shelter (while attempting to water/plant bend) would get pretty frustrating if all she can make is a muddy house. I'll post the character sheet for review when I'm done.

Also, Xilingshi, that pixel thing in your signature. I've seen them around and I want.
Back to top Go down
Zulera
Elite Member
Zulera

EXP : 20825

Character Description
Position: Avatar

PostSubject: Re: Newb with a few questions   Newb with a few questions EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 5:11 pm

even with as weak as it may be or whatnot, bending one element is still... bending one element.
let's just stick to one solid element for now (unless you want to make an expert who excels at plantbending or something).
granted, that is just my two bits, and if one of the other admins is okay with it, I can be swayed.
Back to top Go down
Soran
Soran

EXP : 1925
Birthday : 1993-04-02

Character Description
Position: None
Nation: Earth Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Newb with a few questions   Newb with a few questions EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 3:24 pm

Just throwing this out there; I have seen apps on this site where Firebenders here can bend Magma. I know that I'm not staff, but that is an Avatar-level technique in the series for a reason. It requires bending both Fire & Earth due to the fact that magma is molten rock. So considering that, I don't see anything wrong with the claybending. Especially considering both Toph & Katara could bend mud on their own (Shown in the episodes "The Painted Lady" & "The Runaway") even though it was a combination of both Earth & Water.

Again, I am not staff. I am just throwing my two cents into this conversation ^_^
Back to top Go down
Neekla
Neekla

Character Description
Position:

PostSubject: Re: Newb with a few questions   Newb with a few questions EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 2:05 am

Well, it's been a while, but I think I can actually start RPing here. Kind of an embarrassing story, but i've been considering majoring in graphic design and i heard that a lot of firms are looking for people that can code, like HTML and Flash and stuff like that, and the only website i really remembered that actively encouraged its users to learn code was Neopets. So I found my old account and even made a new one and remembered my childhood and how i would RP all the time and i even joined a guild and there were like 4 people and ONLY TWO WERE LITERATE AND I WANTED TO DIE. Do you know how HORRIBLE it is to be a totalitarian grammar nazi (however, i do have a hard time gathering my motivation to press the shift key to capitalize my i's) with kids - who are the same age as you, by the way - that do not have the capability to form a complete and coherent sentence?!

But I really missed the atmosphere of RP and how anything goes, so I'd really love to start here.

TL;DR: Neopets is a nice place to learn code; shitty place to RP.
Back to top Go down
Sanaki
Sanaki

EXP : 5075

Character Description
Position: None
Nation: Fire Nation

PostSubject: Re: Newb with a few questions   Newb with a few questions EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 2:08 am

and as always, I am here. give a shout out in the chatbox now and again if you have any questions.
The great and benevolent Zuzu [Zulera] knows all.

~Zul~
Back to top Go down
Neekla
Neekla

Character Description
Position:

PostSubject: Re: Newb with a few questions   Newb with a few questions EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 2:34 am

Awesome. I'm fine-tuning my character sheet now.

Still, no one has told me where to get those pixelly avatar things in your signatures. :C
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newb with a few questions   Newb with a few questions Empty

Back to top Go down

Newb with a few questions
Page 1 of 1